AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battlefield 1942 is an online multiplayer game which allows players to operate any vehicle they see: tanks, submarines, planes, ships etc. Add to this, the maps are huge and gorgeous. I was strictly an Xbox gamer until some friends turned me onto this game and now I'm hooked.

Although the game is brilliant, it gets even better because the game comes with development tools for fans to make their own modifications. The most popular one right now is Desert Combat which is very timely being the US vs. Iraq. There are literaly dozens in the works that are based on just about every obscure war and every popular game. For example there is going to be Dice [Vice] City Mod, a Spanish Civil War mod, etc.

The latest Mod, Forgotten Hope, takes the game back to its roots, WWII. It focuses on the battles in 1940-41 when Nazi Germany was at the height of her powers. The focus is realism. All of the weapons are as accurate as possible. Tanks have accurate ammunition loadouts. For example, in BF1942, fighters are given lots of bombs, which wasn't the case in real life. And the Japanese use the German antitank weapon.

Most of the FH battles involve Russia, but just about everybody but the US is represented. It has a bunch of new maps, weapons and vehicles that are just gorgeous. It's like looking at a beautiful oil painting when you're playing the game.

The thing I really like about FH is the edginess. DICE seemed to have forgotten that the average age of gamers is 28 (I'm 33) so they watered things down and made the game a bit too arcady. When you load up FH, you are treated to what appears to be a real black and white photo of wounded British soldiers fleeing Dunkirk. Dramatic classical music is playing. Heck, even the German flag has a swastika on it.

Here is the link if you want to check it out:
http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.html

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't believe I'll be doing very much aireal combat with this mod since I have a hard enough time landing a hit with the huge payloads in the original 1942.

Cool and thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoy flying, too, but I don't think I've ever hit a damn thing with a bomb or a bullet!

The fighters in Forgotten Hope have cannon as their secondary weapon. FH also seems to have a few more AAA guns on the maps to keep the planes from dominating the game.

I never cease to be amazed at how good some folks are at flying the planes. It takes a staggering amount of skill to put a bomb on a tank and people do it to me all the time!

Oh, and one thing I LOVE about FH is that the little map with your position has your little arrow in red or blue depending on your team. BF1942 has a grey arrow that is very hard to see. It is amazing how the little things can help you enjoy a game.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like the Battlegroup42 mod better than FH. It's not as much of a simulator. Wait untill you see some of the new maps coming out soon. They are some of best made for Battlefield 1942.

Battlegroup42

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Have you guys played the star wars mod Galactic Battlefield. It looks like it might be fun but seems to be in infant stages still. I had a lot of problems with BF 1942 crashing after some of the patches came out. But now that I upgraded to XP, it seems to be running well again. Guess it's time for ole reaper to start doing his job :)

reaper

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't tried Battlegroup42 yet, I'll give it a shot!

Every time I try to load Galactic Conquest, BF1942 crashes and closes down. This is very frustrating because it looks like a fun game and I can see that OTHER people are online playing it. I can't figure out the problem. I have a new computer with Windows XP.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've noticed that mod's these days are getting reeeeeeealy big. 500+MB for the Forgotten Hope. It's amazing the amount of effort that goes into them these days. I remember bitching when Counterstrike was like 65MB! :)

-Trouble

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't really speak from experience, but i've heard that people who can fly really well are actually using joysticks which make it much easier. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dragan,

That is true. I have a joystick, but I'm still not the world's greatest pilot because I don't have the time to practice and am not particularily coordinated. I think the folks out there that don't have a wife, kid, job, house etc. probably have a little more time on their hands to practice their bombing runs!

Can anybody give me some pointers on how to fly the the copters in EOD and Desert Combat? I've read some guides, but I immediately crash every time I try...

·
Registered
466 Posts
The strafe keys are your friends during chopper flights in Desert Combat. If you start rolling to the right immediately give it full right rudder which will help out a lot in recovering by moving the nose down. It's a lot easier to fix a nose down attitude instead of a roll over. Also if you need to make a quick 180, don't give it full rudder the whole time to turn. You'll end up overshooting. Hold it for about 90 and give it 90 in the other direction.

I've seen some people do crazy things like loops in a chopper in multiplayer mode, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have passengers. If your going to bail out roll the chopper beforehand in the opposite direction from the side you jump from unless you like looking at the respawn screen :)

These tips are all for Desert Combat since I hadn't played EOD very much yet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eve of Destruction. It is another Battlefield 1942 mod that is based on the Vietnam War.

There are a crazy amount of BF1942 mods. The only game that I know of that has more is Half-Life.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I have the latest DC mod yet when I'm in the BF lobby there is still a lot of greyed out servers(I have no filters on).What is everyone playing?

Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Choppers are the worst! I've pretty much given up on trying to fly those. I'll have to give those pointers a try Javaman. I have heard that rudder control is everything. I once saw a helo pilot fly about 10' off the ground in and around mountains - there must be a trick (or I guess a lot of old fashion practice).

·
Registered
466 Posts
What really blows me away are the pilots who can hover close enough to a flag to capture it. I usually start out ok, but start to loose it after about 10 and end up snagging something. It's too high and too low to bail out. hehhehe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.