AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just relocated a 50" Panasonic plasma for gaming duty for my teenagers (long story, had to be done), so it lost its associated sound system. The TV speakers are awful, and I didn't want to spend a lot just for them to game, plus space was very limited - i.e. no receiver plus separate speakers. I felt that Craigslist urge coming on , and found an old Altec Lansing AD104 soundbar plus sub combo for $35. This is a circa 2000 unit, before the word soundbar was even invented. Gave the guy $25, deal done. It has 2 3" speakers on either side of the controls in the middle, each speaker getting only 5w (!), and the sub is only 20w, with a 6" cone. The build quality seems good though, and when we hooked it all up last night, we were amazed. Sound is not bad at all, music or game noises - gets pretty loud, doesn't crack up, really astonishing for a total 40w system. I'm a happy camper, plus it sits perfectly inside the cabinet the tv sits on. No other point to this story!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
jonty - great story. I have a six year old Altec Lansing PC speaker with three 2" drivers behind my monitor at the office. Another just like it in my garage. No sub. Very good sound and will play loud enough to fill a 65' x 40' meeting room with sound you can hear and understand when it was used for a meeting last year.

I haven't seen AL on the market with anything new in a number of years. This was a very old and gifted company and would hate to think that they have tanked.

By the way, please ignore anything you see concerning power. Those numbers, even the low ones are not measured in the same manner of standard audio devices like receivers or amplifiers. The number you see is typically peak power and the real steady state power rating is probably closer to one or two watts even on the woofer.

What a lot of people don't understand is that power has little relationship to any factor concerning the sound and even only a small factor concerning overall volume. This is all part of a whole with the speaker efficiency, the type of enclosure, the elasticity of the driver and finally the amount of power required to drive the speaker to some specified SPL and the maximum power that a speaker can handle before self destructing.

A perfect example is theaters prior to THX (Star Wars 1977 and only if you were in a specially outfitted theater with one of the new THX sound systems). Prior to THX, a typical auditorium had one (1) horn loaded loudspeaker, usually from Altec Lansing, but also from JBL or Electrovoice. This speaker was usually a single 18" or 24" driver with a compression tweeter (maybe) mounted inside the woofer. This was before the large take-over of multiple screen cinema houses and these auditoreums typically would seat 300 to 400 people. Much bigger than all but the largest current day movie theaters.

To drive this single enormous enclosure (these things often weighed 180# to 250#) was one single tube amplifier that had a maximum output of about 5-watts. And the one speaker with 5-watt amplifier could play every bit as loud as the current theaters with a modern THX or Dolby Surround system.

All this to say, power means nothing (or at least very little).

Hope the youngsters appreciate the good daddy providing them with fun sound.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60  /t/1499608/a-happy-25-soundbar-story#post_23948652

All this to say, power means nothing (or at least very little).

Hope the youngsters appreciate the good daddy providing them with fun sound.

Oh they do, although they know i enjoy these projects more than they do, (both their bedrooms, both their cars and the garage where they hang out a lot at this point!). does my younger kid really need a pair of 55lb Cerwin Vega AT-80s in his small bedroom? Probably not, but they were another fun CL find ($60) in mint condition.

totally agree on the power comment. Seems like the more expensive speakers get, the harder they are to drive, and the more power they require. Does anyone make a truly high end, high efficiency speaker?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts