AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share this with all of you. Maybe it won't matter to you, but it made me happy because I was spending someone else's money.

I have a coworker who told me he wanted to build a new home theater system. His old one is only prologic and had Kenwood speakers. He had visited the local chain stores and had been advised to buy a certain brand (you all can guess which one I'm talking about, but I don't want that to become the focus here) of speakers, but that they would cost him way beyond what he wanted to spend. I asked him how much that was and he said, "about a thousand" for all five speakers. I asked him about the sub part of the equation and he said that he'd like to get a sub, but felt it would be too expensive. I thought about companies like Ascend, Axiom, and the like, but decided to recommend the EFT's.

He ordered them and was very pleased with the service that he got from ACI. After a couple of days, he came to me and said that he had a horrible hum in his system, so I made some suggestions regarding ground loop problems.

Today, he came to me to tell me that the hum was completely gone after the suggestions and, moreso, that he'd never heard speakers sounding that good. Now, he admits that he's easily confused and a stranger to sound quality, but he said that once he had them all connected and playing without the hum, he just sat in his sofa and didn't want to get up - he liked the sound so much.

I told him to wait to see how good they sound once everything is callibrated. He did ask how he could get the sub from playing so loud. Tomorrow, I'll give him my AVIA and Rat Shack sound meter and give him some clues as to how to set it up right. Then, I'll pop on over to hear for the first time how the EFT speakers sound.

I should mention that another coworker wants to come along during the visit because he too is looking to set up a home theater system.

One last thing, he's so excited about the speakers that he now wants a new receiver - his first in over 15 years. He says, "It will still be under the cost of the other ones I heard and I'll get the receiver to boot."

I'm just excited because I would have felt horrible if he hadn't liked them, but he's like a puppy dog with a new toy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Danbry:

Thanks for taking the time to post. Made my day:) Please do followup with your impressions when you've had a chance to listen.

BTW, it's ELT, not EFT:)

Have a great day!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wasn't sure at first what EFTs were, but It looks like ELTs. I'm not sure I really like that name. However, having had the pleasure of hearing my friends ELT, I sure like the way it sounds! I helped him get his levels set and we enjoyed bits from LOTR, Pearl Harbor and Nemo. I wish I could lhave had the time to watch each DVD in full. I've heard a lot of great comments on the center, and it is most surely a winner. The front soundstage is very well integrated and accurate.Great match with the satellites. I wouldn't say this system is overly warm or overly bright. Very good overall tonality mixed with quite good detail. The sub seems to put out pretty potent bass, we were still experimenting with placement.

Before I recommended it to him and read everything I could find on them. A lot of people commented on the quality of the finish. I'll just say that I really don't see how they can do such a nice finish job at this price point. High end for sure. Throw in ACI's fantastic service and warranty . . .To sum up, I don't think anyone looking for a very high quality 5.1 system at under around $1500 will go wrong with this one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the misspelling. :(

I lent my friend AVIA and my sound meter, but won't be able to get over there for at least a couple of weeks. I'm really anxious to hear how it sounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.