AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a long time HD DVD owner I just purchased a PS3 so I could go format neutral. My decision to go format neutral was a tough one as there is not a forum on AVS for "Owners of BOTH, HD DVD and Blu Ray".

Getting info from owners of both formats involved more than a few searchs and in reading those search results I had to sift thru all "the my format is better than your format crap".

I do think it is odd that there is a forum for dual formats players while I would be willing to bet there are more folks on AVS that own both HD DVD and Blu Ray players than own dual format players.

A, I own "Both Formats" forum would seem to be a great idea, a meeting place for those that are not tunnel vision stuck on ONE format.

It could be a meeting place for those of us that are interested in, and or, own both formats.

I would love to be able to get honest helpful information on both formats from thoses who own both formats.

A, I own "Both Formats" forum would be a great place to compare the PQ of DVD's released on both formats.

It would be a great place to compare our HD and Blu Ray players with out the mine is better than your BS to sort thru.

Any thoughts mods and fellow AVS'ers ?

Davyo

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I agree, I'm really getting sick of the bickering about which format needs to die. Lets just create a dual format software sub forum as well. Hopefully we can weed out a lot of the die hards from each side.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.s /forum/post/0

I don't believe such a forum would work out to be more peaceful than the others, though still perhaps a nice idea.

Personaly I think it would be a way more peaceful forum than the BD only and HD DVD only forums.

99% of all the trash talk on thoses 2 forums is about slamming the other format.

If you own both formats it totaly eliminates the mine is than better than your format BS.

As an owner of both formats now I would love to able to read post about which disc is a better transfer of the same DVD, the Blu Ray or the HD DVD version for DVD's that are released on both BD and HD.

I would love to be able to read about how the A1 or the A2 Toshibas compare with the Sonys or the Samsungs from members that own BD and HD players.

That forum be neutral in more ways than one.

Davyo

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Not gonna happen. Too many newbies and kids that just got HD discs from the last year and recently joined AVS thinking they are already "experts" in AV. Not to mention planted schills. Posting whatever they think without getting the facts first.

Anyways this thread should be moved to the Forums Operation Center or locked.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
nice idea: perhaps in the future: it is up to the Administrators, namely David Bott, to decide; not the mods

We do notice a lot of folks becoming format neutral, and a new forum for combo players was recently added

·
Registered
735 Posts

Xylon said:
Not gonna happen. Too many newbies and kids that just got HD discs from the last year and recently joined AVS thinking they are already "experts" in AV. Not to mention planted schills. Posting whatever they think without getting the facts first.

I know that's right!

·
Registered
529 Posts
IMO, they should make public the IPs of posters to hopefully cut down on the shilling. The people who have references to one of the two formats in their forum names should be banned as well, their posts are cheerleading for the most part and divisive.

I find all the other forums on AVSForum INCREDIBLY helpful and full of well spoken people who are HT nuts just like myself. But I have to be honest, the BD/HD-DVD forums are a cesspool.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar /forum/post/0

IMO, they should make public the IPs of posters to hopefully cut down on the shilling. The people who have references to one of the two formats in their forum names should be banned as well, their posts are cheerleading for the most part and divisive.

I find all the other forums on AVSForum INCREDIBLY helpful and full of well spoken people who are HT nuts just like myself. But I have to be honest, the BD/HD-DVD forums are a cesspool.

don't be shy: tell us what you think

Mods see IP addresses but it is not that simple: and you can't just ban everyone

There is a format battle going on here: unlike other parts of AVS

I think AVS does a reasonably good job of handling a very difficult situation: please don't blame AVS or it's mods for the format battle: we don't like it either

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

Quote:

I moderate other forums and the last thing you want to do is to make IP address public. This is for security reasons and privacy. Only MODS and ADMINS should have access to IPs from users.

Banning users based on IP is well and good but one has to be very careful about this because some IPs are used by multiple users and vice versa. Just use the report button and trust the mods to hopefully do the right thing.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/0

Banning users based on IP is well and good but one has to be very careful about this because some IPs are used by multiple users and vice versa. Just use the report button and trust the mods to hopefully do the right thing.

No, sorry, I didn't mean BAN these people, but the hope would be that since your IP address is public you'd be less likely to post inflammatory nonsense against your non-preferred format.

The one sticky issue you guys have is that sometimes people who work for a company and want to answer questions, yet not "get in trouble".. well, that would pretty much ruin that.

I think my main issue is that people have a really difficult time for whatever reason rationally discussing the two formats. Maybe the "Buy Day" threads should serve as a honeypot to catch shills/trolls, and everyone who posts in those should be banned.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts

Quote:

I think my main issue is that people have a really difficult time for whatever reason rationally discussing the two formats.

This is really the heart of the issue: I think there are a variety of reasons for this:

some are defensive because they bought in to a particular format, some may have some kind of vested interest in seeing one format win or lose, some may just enjoy a fight- you could probably name several other reasons

Keep in mind that there are new members joining every day, so it is tough keeping up

Again, I think things are getting better, albeit slowly, and I don't see a quick end in sight either: I do see a powerful trend of format neutrality, combo players, and dual format discs which can help diffuse the battle to some degree

·
Registered
329 Posts
I vote for a dual format as well because this would let people who actually own both types of players be more honest with opinions and personal experience with both. This is a great idea, kind of like getting rid of all the adds in HT magazines and only have reviews with out advertisers influence?

·
Registered
27,563 Posts
I vote for one free for all thread or area where folks can post exactly what they feel without any repercussions (short of obscdneties, threats, etc.). A place to vent.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would love this idea. As I posted in the HD-DVD forum this weekend, this is becoming ridiculous, there is not a simple thread that when you go to post your opinion, you won't find a fanboy of either format, just making stupid arguments just to show off his preferred format.

I vote in favor of such a new forum.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I would love a format neutral forum as well. It would let those of us that don't really care about the format war talk about what we do love - glorious HD movies.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
A forum like that wouldn't work. The four forums that are here now are a derivative of a single forum that didn't work due to too much smack-talk.

I suggest that the mods do a better job of deleting every post that talks about the other format. If you're in the blu-ray forum, don't allow ANY discussion of HD-DVD and vice versa (hey, I'm guilty of it too). That would cut down on most if not all of the crap in these four forums.

The rules should state: "There is to be absolutely no mention of the competing format in this forum."

I mean, isn't that why the four forums were broken out anyway? There is no order without good policing. I don't understand why threads get locked all the time. Couldn't the mods just delete the posts that cause the problems so that good relavant discussion can still take place?

When Passion of the Christ was released, they didn't allow any talk of that movie. It was policed and all discussion was squashed. I guess it's not okay to allow talk of religion (due to the fact that it's off topic for avsforum), but it is okay to get off topic and talk about a competing format.

But then again, it's my opinion that they actually LIKE all of this bantering. It creates more BUZZ for their web site which equates to advertising dollars.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/0

As a long time HD DVD owner I just purchased a PS3 so I could go format neutral. My decision to go format neutral was a tough one as there is not a forum on AVS for "Owners of BOTH, HD DVD and Blu Ray".

Getting info from owners of both formats involved more than a few searchs and in reading those search results I had to sift thru all "the my format is better than your format crap".

I do think it is odd that there is a forum for dual formats players while I would be willing to bet there are more folks on AVS that own both HD DVD and Blu Ray players than own dual format players.

A, I own "Both Formats" forum would seem to be a great idea, a meeting place for those that are not tunnel vision stuck on ONE format.

It could be a meeting place for those of us that are interested in, and or, own both formats.

I would love to be able to get honest helpful information on both formats from thoses who own both formats.

A, I own "Both Formats" forum would be a great place to compare the PQ of DVD's released on both formats.

It would be a great place to compare our HD and Blu Ray players with out the mine is better than your BS to sort thru.

Any thoughts mods and fellow AVS'ers ?

Davyo

Great idea. I wouild prefer talking with people that are neutral as opposed to the fan boys in the format specific forums.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would love to see a neutral forum. All the hate is silly. I just love the content. I don't care what it says on the disk. Just what it looks like. I think a comparison of the image and features would be helpful. I have the 360 add on and I plan to buy a stand alone, a ps3 or a blu ray drive soon. I just rent disks from netflix. Why buy? I think the format war will linger. But the 1st camp to get a sub $200 player at walmart might win. Who cares who wins? I will watch HD in 1080p in whatever format wins.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think its you guys who create all these threads about format wars

I own a PS3 and buy bluray movies, but there is not one day I would argue with a HDDVD guy about which one one is better, it just doesn't make sense!

both are HD, whatever pleases you, watch it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.