AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's certainly a thread about this somewhere back in archives, but just looking at this again on the RCA 38 and must say: if all the HBO movies looked this good, I'd never turn on the DVD player, and never complain about OAR again. Textures, flesh tones, colors, and, most of all, apparent sharpness, are simply state of the art, at least on this set. Haven't viewed this one on the larger RPTV upstairs.

Can't say much about the movie's content, as I'm not really paying attention to the plot.

John in VA

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, it certainly is a superior picture to the DVD version. The colors are amazing. Then next HBO channel was a standard version of the same movie. The difference in picture quality was Knight and day.... :) had to throw that in there as corny as it may be.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gnosys
I know there's certainly a thread about this somewhere back in archives, but just looking at this again on the RCA 38 and must say: if all the HBO movies looked this good, I'd never turn on the DVD player, and never complain about OAR again. Textures, flesh tones, colors, and, most of all, apparent sharpness, are simply state of the art, at least on this set. Haven't viewed this one on the larger RPTV upstairs.

Can't say much about the movie's content, as I'm not really paying attention to the plot.

John in VA
This is a Super35 2.35 movie, so quality might not have been too compromised if HBO opened the mattes when they butchered this movie. Regarding the last statement, I guess OAR doesn't matter when content doesn't matter and HD is simply treated as eye candy.

I've got it on now and I don't see the movie as anything spectacular, quality wise, compared to other HBO offerings.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The transfer is open matted. This is why they are able to produce such a stunning transver. Had it been zoomed in, resolution would be reduced and grain increased.

Tonight was the first time I saw the film and I was shocked to find myself enjoying it I expected to hate it, so maybe my low low expectations allowed me to loosen up and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with most all comments. This does seem to be open matted, as resolution and "snap" factor were definitely there for me. I check out a lot of HBO HD since I have the RCA in my office here, and must say the average is just not nearly this good. I appreciate OAR and certainly prefer it still, but there's a lot to be said for a film that looks more like HDCAM in appearance - sharpness and snap, I mean, not lack of depth of field control.

I realized after I posted that this is the wrong forum for this - thought I was in programming -sorry.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
John: This looked pretty good on my WS65087 also. I wished ShowtimeHD had this quality resolution. In my opinion, HBO, despite its non-OAR presentations, has a slight resolution edge to ShowtimeHD. Of course I know there are many out there who will disagree with me (right JerryG).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.