AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
My understanding is the all XM hardware supports A La Carte (you can tell because they used to be able to block the Playboy channel and have premium channels on XM). This is merely the first Sirius receiver that does.


Of course, none of the hardware will receive both signals yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/15427284


So I can get XM a la Carte right now w/o waiting?

I looked all through the XM website, and they don't show any option for al la carte selection.


Doesn't mean that the information about receiver capability above is inaccurate, though. I would not be surprised if XM radios were al la carte capable, and that SiriusXM has chosen not to offer an XM al la carte plan because of that. Out of fear that there would be wholesale changes to that lower cost option. It's easier to just ignore the capability than to offer the option with untenable strings attached.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
The Starmate 5 is the only Ala Carte Radio, which means if you just wanted some basic music channels and stuff a new subscriber could get in for only $6.99 per month. But you could also have the $9.99 plans or the $12.95 plan or the $12.95 plus best of XM plan for $16.99


The Sportster 5 is the most feature rich besides the Ala Carte feature. But keep in mind all the newer radios since about the Sportster 4 are capable of the $9.99 plans. See here. http://www.sirius.com/packages/more

There is a lot to look at on that page. Lots of hidden things about the plans. For example nobody can get Howard 100/101 on the Ala Carte Plan. You have to pay $12.95 to get Howard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Sirius Ala Carte for 6.99 a month but I saw they said you needed a radio that supported the ala carte? Does my Denon 988 support this? It is Sirus ready as it has the input for the ant. It does not have an XM ant. input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspero /forum/post/15432731


I would not be surprised if XM radios were al la carte capable, and that SiriusXM has chosen not to offer an XM al la carte plan because of that. Out of fear that there would be wholesale changes to that lower cost option, it's easier to just ignore the capability than to offer the option with untenable strings attached.

In order to get approval for the merger, XM-Sirius promised the FCC they would offer A La Carte for $6.99 a month. If they don't offer what they promised, the FCC is liable to come down hard on the new merged company with fines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/15515522


In order to get approval for the merger, XM-Sirius promised the FCC they would offer A La Carte for $6.99 a month. If they don't offer what they promised, the FCC is liable to come down hard on the new merged company with fines.

They have $6.99 plan but only with a $130 radio, not the $40 model. What a ripoff! The FCC sort of hung us on out to dry on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHorn /forum/post/15516562


They have $6.99 plan but only with a $130 radio, not the $40 model. What a ripoff! The FCC sort of hung us on out to dry on this one.

It's not the FCC's job to mandate a company's product offerings. There should have never been a requirement in the FCC's merger ruling for a $6.99 offering in the first place, so no they didn't hang anybody out to dry.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facilman /forum/post/15519154


It's not the FCC's job to mandate a company's product offerings.

The FCC does it all the time. They require a certain number of hours for educational programming on OTA-TV. They require cable companies to carry local stations. And they can require A La Carte for Sirius-XM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/15533801


I've been told that with XM radios, they all have the ability to do a la carte, even the $40 models.


Is that true or not?

Yes and no..


Because of the way XM radios add channels XM units CAN process single channels, so yeah they can add individual Sirius stations. On the other hand SOME Sirius units can only add channels in blocks so they can't add individual channels. But both are still receiving the channels 'simulcasts' from their own birds.


The all in one units will be able receive the signals directly from each other's birds. So they will be able to add, drop, be a true a la carte units.


Example.. Now even with a XM unit if you get the music a la carte package you have to take all the channels offered in the package for $9.99... With the new all in one unit it says pick 50 music channels for $6.99 a month. So you'll be able to pick the 50 music channels you want, not what SiriusXM is offering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 /forum/post/15535175


With the new all in one unit it says pick 50 music channels for $6.99 a month. So you'll be able to pick the 50 music channels you want, not what SiriusXM is offering.

Was waiting and waiting for it to finally get here, and now that it has, I don't even want it, because they don't have the channels I'd want anymore.



Oh, well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 /forum/post/15535175


Yes and no.. Because of the way XM radios add channels XM units CAN process single channels, so yeah they can add individual Sirius stations.

So i other words: "Yes XM radios can do the $6/month a la carte plan to receive XM channels". I don't understand why you added a no to your answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/15540874


So i other words: "Yes XM radios can do the $6/month a la carte plan to receive XM channels". I don't understand why you added a no to your answer?

No they can't.. Current XM radios( and certain Sirius units) can do the $9.99 all 60+ music stations take this music package in it's whole plan..


The newer all in one radios will be able to pick and choose 50 channels out of the 60+ $6.99 monthly package.


I know it's confusing because people are labeling BOTH packages as a la carte. But the 1st package( 9.99 plan) isn't really an a la carte package. If you want the music package you have to take all 60+ stations.


The 2nd plan( $6.99) the true a la carte with the newer units you can pick what 50 music channels you want, that is a true a la carte. And for a higher price pick what news, talk, sports channels you want too. Like if they say for $12.99 pick 75 channels total you can.. You pick the 50 music channels, then 25 other channels of news,weather,talk, etc..( sports and Stern would probably still be separate and cost an extra fee). You can't do that with the current radios.


The older units again you can get those talk, news, etc. packages BUT you have to take the whole package, you can't pick and choose want channels you want.


Here's an edit.. Take a look at this chart, specifically the Ala carte 1 and 2 package. Then you'll see the difference between the current XM units and the newer all in one units..To get Ala Carte 1 and 2 you'll need a newer all in one unit, the current units will NOT work..

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(sigh)


I don't know why people are having such a hard time answering my question. If I have an XM Radio, and I sign-up for the $7 a month a la carte service, can I or can I not pull the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s channels off the XM satellite? IMHO the answer should be "yes" not no.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/15579294


(sigh)


I don't know why people are having such a hard time answering my question. If I have an XM Radio, and I sign-up for the $7 a month a la carte service, can I or can I not pull the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s channels off the XM satellite? IMHO the answer should be "yes" not no.

If you're so concerned about having your question answered definitively, why don't you call (or e-mail) SiriusXM and ask them? It seems a little ridiculous for you to expect others to know the answer to your question when you don't know yourself. No one here is an expert, and as far as I can tell, no one here works for SiriusXM.



That said, from what I understand, you can only do the real "a la carte" plans with a new, dual-service player. I'm not 100% certain, but this is what I've gotten from the press releases/charts/etc. But again, if you want a definitive answer, you should ask SiriusXM.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top