AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Harmony remotes are hampered by terrible configuration software.

At vers 7.6 I'd think it would be a bit more customizable, but you are a long way from an easy to use and highly configurable product.

Here are the principal issues:

1) General cludgyness: the setup is so terribly long, involved and "Fisher-Price" simplified. It is annoying, cumbersome, slow, tedious, and limiting.

Specifically, adding and moving custom buttons, navigating through the "wizards" and trying to find where you have hidden some particular "option" is utterly aggravating. Seriously, you expect us to guess the difference from "Settings" or "Options" ??!?! - how unclear can you get?

"Customize buttons" is on the main activities page for activities, but buried in the "options" or "settings" page for devices. The inconsistency throughout the application is aggravating.

2) LACK OF CONTROL: you have designed the remote to function around "activities", yet you do not provide full control of activities. WHY? In order to have functions of a certain device available in an activity, then you have to add that device TO the activity.

But ALL devices added to the activity are turned "Full On". The light controller, air conditioning, air purifier, etc etc. We the users (your customers) need to be able to enter an activity without changing the state of every device in that activity.

For instance, when I listen to CDs, I may also want to watch TV. Or not. While listening to CDs, I need control of the TV. But when I go to listen to CDs, if the TV is off, I do NOT want it automatically turned on. I WANT THE CHOICE.

3) CAN'T REORDER DEVICES (in or not in an activity). Okay, so you want us to program the device around activities - but as noted above, even then you do not have accurate control of devices added to an activity.

We need the ability to reorder devices when not in an activity, and reorder them separately if desired for each activity. they way you have it now, the devices move all over the place in seemingly random ways, and when you have more than 8 devices it is INCREDIBLY annoying to hunt and find them in some new location each time.

Random device positions? Yea, great idea. NOT. This is a horrid "feature"!!

4) BAD IR COMMAND DATABASE. Okay, here's a case of quantity does not equal quality. It seems like every user's custom programmed commands get stuck into this database. While this might be an easy way for you to "grow" your database, using the database becomes cumbersome at best. Moreover, many commands are mislabeled, or do not function as expected. It seems that mis-named commands get into the database and never get out.

Worse, for use users, there is no way to permanently edit the database to suit our particular device. In other words, we'd like to be able to make our own localized version of a particular device and customize the entire command list - this would not affect your main database, just our remote. This way, everytime we went to adjust the programming of our remote, we wouldn't have to scroll through the hundreds of useless commands that do not apply to our device.

5) IR COMMAND LEARNING LIMITATIONS. Yes, you can learn new commands. But you have little control over those commands.

For instance, on original remotes, some commands will "stream" a commands when you hold a button down. With harmony, you seem to be able to do that only with volume. A serious deficiency.

6) CAN'T SAVE SETUPS. Right, so we make a mistake, but after we re-configure, there is no way to "get back" to a previous programmed state.

7) MUST BE ONLINE. Why? why should I have to be online for a learning remote? You should allow for offline configuration, learning, saving, etc.

SUMMARY or WISH LIST:

Put all settings for a device in ONE place, under ONE menu. Stop spreading config pages all over the place.

Consistency: Chose one term, "settings" OR "options" and stick with it. Put related settings in the same relative place throughout the application.

Allow for direct settings controls instead of cumbersome wizards.

Allow devices in activities to NO CHANGE STATE when entering that activity.

Allow device reordering, both outside of activities, and in each activity.

Allow deleting IR commands for a device.

Allow "stream" commands (like volume) but for any command (selection choice).

Be able to "save as" setups, to store previous configurations.

Be able to work offline.

If we, as users, yell loud enough and often enough, Logitec should finally respond.

Or, we all just switch to URC brand remotes.

Andy

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
i suggest you switch to a urc remote and you'll be a much happier person...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

Quote:
Allow devices in activities to NO CHANGE STATE when entering that activity.

I can excuse many of the other things mentioned but have to totally agree with this one as priority. I dont know why a device added to an activity MUST be automatically powered on when you start an activity.

For example, I have a custom button in most of my activities to control the lights in my room. But that is not to say I want to automatically turn all the lights on or off everytime I switch to from using the tv to watching a blu-ray movie.

I dont know why using a device in any activity demands that it be part of the activities start up sequence.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16862604

I can excuse many of the other things mentioned but have to totally agree with this one as priority. I dont know why a device added to an activity MUST be automatically powered on when you start an activity.

For example, I have a custom button in most of my activities to control the lights in my room. But that is not to say I want to automatically turn all the lights on or off everytime I switch to from using the tv to watching a blu-ray movie.

I dont know why using a device in any activity demands that it be part of the activities start up sequence.

Wouldn't you just leave the lights off/on out of the activity? I don't remember whether I stated that my computer is "always on" or just left the computer out of my "from the computer" activity which will show the video from my computer without any problem.

However, if you want to watch tv with the lights on sometime then off other times, then separate activity is needed as I don't know how anyone can know whether you want the lights off/on each time you press the button.

When I directly switch from "playing cd" with the cd player to viewing dvd with the dvd player, my avr doesn't get turned off for cd then turn on for dvd.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myndex /forum/post/16853768

For instance, when I listen to CDs, I may also want to watch TV. Or not. While listening to CDs, I need control of the TV. But when I go to listen to CDs, if the TV is off, I do NOT want it automatically turned on. I WANT THE CHOICE.

Why can't you just hit the 'device' button and choose your TV turn it on that way? The device button gives you full control over your components.

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
^^^^

alternatively, set up 2 activities, one for just listening to cd, and one for listening to cd with tv on...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus /forum/post/16866119

Wouldn't you just leave the lights off/on out of the activity? I don't remember whether I stated that my computer is "always on" or just left the computer out of my "from the computer" activity which will show the video from my computer without any problem.

However, if you want to watch tv with the lights on sometime then off other times, then separate activity is needed as I don't know how anyone can know whether you want the lights off/on each time you press the button.

When I directly switch from "playing cd" with the cd player to viewing dvd with the dvd player, my avr doesn't get turned off for cd then turn on for dvd.

Why would I need the light to constantly turn on or off everytime I want to switch to watching something else/ a new activity? I simply want a button to turn the lights on/off when I actually want them on/off.

Your avr isnt turned off & on because it is already on. That is different from what I am saying, which is no matter what that AVR is still a part of every activities start up sequence. Using your example of switching from cd to dvd, your cd player is powered off (unless it is set to always on). For the sake of argument just say you have two activities that use the CD player. The CD player will be automatically shut off (unless always on) when switching from either activity, there is absolutely no control to say that for the one you may just want to leave the power as is.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16867144

Why would I need the light to constantly turn on or off everytime I want to switch to watching something else/ a new activity? I simply want a button to turn the lights on/off when I actually want them on/off.

You don't have to have the lights constantly turn on or off. I don't. I told the harmony software that there is no power button on my Lutron remote. Then I added lights to each activity. I then added a button for lights on, lights off and favorite to my activities.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
really now, why is it necessary to have to set it to a constant state for all activities....
Why is it so complicated to fix or even understand leaving the option of being able to remove it from the start up sequence of an activity?

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you tell the software a device does not have a power button and add it to an activity, it will show in the activity startup, but will not power on.

You can then manually turn the device on or off.

Not ideal if you don't understand the software, but is a recommended solution on all the forums I've been to for Harmony remotes.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
ok once again.... Why does it even need to be in a start up activity?

If I set the device to a constant such as on or off, that is the constant used for the device in every activity it is assigned.

And as a Software Developer I think I have a pretty good understanding

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel /forum/post/16868006

If you tell the software a device does not have a power button and add it to an activity, it will show in the activity startup, but will not power on.

You can then manually turn the device on or off.

Not ideal if you don't understand the software, but is a recommended solution on all the forums I've been to for Harmony remotes.

This is what I have in my PS3 and Xbox 360 activities, I want to switch on/off the consoles manually.

However, if you don't want to include the lights device in every activity, simply teach the power on/off commands to, say, the TV device. This will make the commands available to every activity where the TV is used, 9 out of 10 activities in my case

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16868028

ok once again.... Why does it even need to be in a start up activity?

If I set the device to a constant such as on or off, that is the constant used for the device in every activity it is assigned.

And as a Software Developer I think I have a pretty good understanding

Sorry, I get it now. You want to have the ability to use 2 buttons for each activity, a separate button for the lights instead of using the lights remote.

Would be interesting if URC can do the 2 button thing, then someone would want to have at least a 3 button thing for use or more likely the ability to use a button for each device for each activity.

But couldn't you select "device" to get at the light remote control & turn it off there?

I do know there is a problem with the control for my tv as when I select "device" I can change the connection type & other stuff but the "program" does nothing & it should drop down a menu for me to change the video/audio, etc options.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The whole point of the "activities" is that your not supposed to need/want to go into individual "devices" on the remote. Devices are only supposed to be used for occasional advanced features.

As another example, I have 2 activities (watch cable, watch blu-ray) and in each of these activities I have configured the left & right side bar buttons to commands such as the room lights and other devices. Now right on the single screen I can control all the devices I want.

Now the start up sequence for each of the activities includes the lights simply because I use them in the activity. Realy theres just simply no reason it needs to be in this sequence and I simply want a way to remove it from this sequence.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16873742

The whole point of the "activities" is that your not supposed to need/want to go into individual "devices" on the remote. Devices are only supposed to be used for occasional advanced features.

As another example, I have 2 activities (watch cable, watch blu-ray) and in each of these activities I have configured the left & right side bar buttons to commands such as the room lights and other devices. Now right on the single screen I can control all the devices I want.

Now the start up sequence for each of the activities includes the lights simply because I use them in the activity. Realy theres just simply no reason it needs to be in this sequence and I simply want a way to remove it from this sequence.

Why not just go to the device setting for the lights and under "Adjust power settings" select "I want to leave this device on all the time". Now just map the power buttons to your activities. Switching activities shouldn't mess with the lights and you have the mapped buttons available in each activity.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/16874269

Why not just go to the device setting for the lights and under "Adjust power settings" select "I want to leave this device on all the time". Now just map the power buttons to your activities. Switching activities shouldn't mess with the lights and you have the mapped buttons available in each activity.

::banging head:: I'm not sure what exactly about this is so complicated to understand. I dont want the same power settings in other activities and likewise I dont want it to even be part of the activities start up sequence.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16874699

::banging head:: I'm not sure what exactly about this is so complicated to understand. I dont want the same power settings in other activities and likewise I dont want it to even be part of the activities start up sequence.

Maybe you're not explaining it well?

If you set it up as suggested, it will work perfectly, it does for me. Yes it's still listed in the startup sequence, but does absolutely nothing when changing activities, powering up, or powering down. So whats the big deal?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16874699

When you select the device power setting of "leave on all the time" it doesn't actually leave it on or off. It just leaves it alone. You would turn them on manually using a shortcut on an activity page or in device mode. Is this not what you are asking for?

I use Z-wave switches with my 890 and it has the option to use scenes with your activities. I quickly removed them because I do not want the lights to dim or get brighter each time I switch activities. Now I just manually go to the RF Tools option under activities and pick my scene or individual light control.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It isn't difficult for us to understand. We are all giving you solutions to your problem. Yes, the Harmony remotes are not doing exactly what you want, but there are work arounds. What's the big deal with having your lights as part of a startup sequence? If you follow what we've all been telling you, your lights won't do anything until you control them. You won't have the same power setting in each activity. I think you are the one that doesn't understand. Check the various Harmony remote forums and see what you come up with. If you can't find a solution then you may need to look at a different remote.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
No, actually your not...

Im saying I dont want the darn device in the starup sequence and you just keep stating ways to put it in the start up sequence ::stuck-on-stupid::

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.