AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've committed with going with an a-lens in my theater and have a question for the a-lens users in the forum...I do enjoy playing the XBox and PC games in the theater however.

For those who leave their lens in place, how does non-video content (computers, game consoles, etc) look when horizontally compressed for the A-Lens?

Reason I ask is I am trying to make some final decisions on mounting of the lens (fixed vs slidable) and am also trying to make a final decision on curved vs flat screen...

I'd make a joke about being choosing between being on PIN(cushions) and needles or being over a Barrel here - but everybody would just groan :p

For ref - plan is currently a 2.4 screen 48" tall with a throw around 2.25x 16:9 width and a Lumagen for processing.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamblanet /forum/post/20859846

Reason I ask is I am trying to make some final decisions on mounting of the lens (fixed vs slidable) and am also trying to make a final decision on curved vs flat screen...

When you scale the image for optically expanded 16:9 (using 4 x 3 + A-Lens), you are discarding 25% of the H-Rez. For PC use, I tend to let the desk top get stretched so that all 1920 x 1080 pixels are being used. Games are really not that different to video, and where I find this scaling/optical expansion process to be quite exceptable.

If you were going to move the lens and watch more 16:9 program than Scope, I would suggest a flat screen. If you are happy to leave the lens in place all the time and scale for CIH, then you might as well use a curved screen to correct the pincushion from the A-Lens. I would not recommend moving the lens for use with a curved screen. Others will disagree no doubt.

Quote:
I'd make a joke about being choosing between being on PIN(cushions) and needles or being over a Barrel here - but everybody would just groan :p

Thanks that was actually funny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20859903

For PC use, I tend to let the desk top get stretched so that all 1920 x 1080 pixels are being used.

I agree - general computer use won't be impacted much and any good video players support aspect correction...of course Youtube videos of tap-dancing hamsters and what not may not be right - how ever shall I live?

Quote:

Games are really not that different to video, and where I find this scaling/optical expansion process to be quite exceptable.

My concern here was how text and line-art come out with the scaler. It is just a 4->3 conversion so I imagine it scales pretty well but I don't have my scaler yet to play around with it...

Quote:

Others will disagree no doubt.

There in lies all the fun
At least until a flame war breaks out...shall I invoke Godwin's law now or wait a few posts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.