AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy the X1 with my tax return in a month or so, and I am a little confused on the Native resolution stuff. I understand Native resolution, and that the Native aspect ratio of this projector is 4:3. However, I want to use a 16:9 screen, as I don't own many 4:3 movies or plan on watching much TV with it.

What I want to know is this. If I set the projector to 16:9 mode, and project an image that is 16:9, is that image going to have blank light on the top and bottom, essentially filling the 16:9 back up to 4:3 or no? I hear a lot about masking and all this stuff, and I really just want a simple 16:9 screen with a thing black border. I wasn't looking to do anything fancy with it, but I also don't want to have blank light spilling all over the place. I don't care about black bars concerning aspect ratios wider than 1.77:1 or anything either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
All you have to do is put some black fabric above and below the 16:9 portion. Simple as that. I am using a silver pvc 16:9 screen and I have a black sheet behind the screen, which not only creates a black border around the screen, but also allows me to view 16:9 movies without even realizing the movie is not true 16:9. The only thing that I notice projected is the movie that fills my 16:9 screen. Very easy.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
In 16:9 mode any 4:3 PJ will project "black bars" above and below the image area to fill out the 4:3 area. Some light spill is inevitable. If all or most of your viewing is 16:9 you may want to reconsider and pick up a Sanyo Z1 or Panasonic PT-L200 or 300.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, this is what I needed to know. I'm actually not really bothered by making the masks and what not, but was confused. So if light spill is always going to fill a 4:3 image, why do they have an option of 16:9 in the first place?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ergyu
Ok thanks, this is what I needed to know. I'm actually not really bothered by making the masks and what not, but was confused. So if light spill is always going to fill a 4:3 image, why do they have an option of 16:9 in the first place?
My PJ (Panasonic PT-L200U) is native 16:9. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 16:9 mode on a 4:3 PJ is similar to 4:3 CRT TVs that can do 16:9 mode, i.e., the anamorphic squeeze feature to properly display DVDs enhanced for widescreen TVs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does that mean that if I built a 4:3 screen and masked off the room on the top and bottom to create a 16:9 shape, that when I play 4:3 material in 4:3 mode, the top and bottom will be cut off, but if I play it in 16:9 it will be centered in the 16:9 area? I have the images in my head, I don't know if I am conveying it correctly haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ergyu,

The answer to your question is yes.

If you have a 16x9 screen with your X1 and show 4x3 material switch to native AR on the X1 and the 4x3 material will be the same height as 16x9. It is a great feature of the X1.

You can set your star button on your remote to toggle through the three ARs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.