AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be bouncing all around on the different display tech.

So a little help please....

I have played with two different SVGA "office" projectors..(just for concept not for judging PQ) and the problem I have is what I call "halo" light that surrounds the target display screen. I find it annoying that with a "dark" scene that my ceiling, floor, side walls are lit up. Also the medium gray bars above and below the 16x9 dark "screen" displayed

Seems to be "artifact" light coming from the outside edges of the "LCD" display that the lens picks up, thus projects this halo. Is this the norm of a FP or just that of these low end projectors.

Don't recall the actual model numbers, they were "borrowed" from work for a night each. Both are about a year and bit older 1024x768 S-Video, One Proxima the other InFocus. Even the new 1024x768 projector at work displays computer displays with the halo and minor upper and lower gray bars

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Not sure about the 'halos' but the bars are an everyday issue easily dealt with with masking. All digitals suffer this 'light leak' because the image is either reflected from a DMD/Silicone device or passed through lcd panels. Hence, the bulb is on 100% of the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try to see some examples meant for home theatre. The black bars issue will still fundamentally be there because of the variety of aspect ratios that content is distributed in. You may also see light spill (which is what I am guessing your halo problem is). However I would guess that both will be significantly improved over a budget business projector which are usually designed with brightness (lumen output) taking precedence over all other performance metrics.

Try to see both LCD and DLP as both have strengths.

Finally think about your environment and what changes you may or may not be willing to make to it to achieve the best picture. Darker walls/ceiling, drapes, etc...

I started doing research 2 years ago with the following progression:

HD 34" Direct View CRT

HD ~60" DLP Rear Projection TV

HD 50" Plasma

ED Front Projector

I think front projection is unfortunately a well kept secret from most consumers. It will take more effort than plugging in a new TV but the effort is well worth it in my opinion. Good luck with your research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.