AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really recently purchased a Panny 54PS1 for my living room. Got a sweet deal ($1100) on it. I then found out about the dreaded black levels. As of right now I'm extremely happy with it, fingers crossed.

I'm now looking into getting a second t.v. for the basement. It will be mounted on an angle wall and will at times be viewed from a slight angle. For this reason I am leaning towards another plasma in the 42 to 46 inch range. This tv would be low usuage, about 20 hours per week.

Here's where you come in. Should I say screw the black level issue and buy a 2009 Panny at a nice reduced price(1), should I wait for the 2010 Panny's in that size range to help the black level issue(2), or go with an entirely different brand?(3). If you choose option 3 please provide suggestions for the different tv.

Let's hear what you got, and thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts2323 /forum/post/18255902

I really recently purchased a Panny 54PS1 for my living room. Got a sweet deal ($1100) on it. I then found out about the dreaded black levels. As of right now I'm extremely happy with it, fingers crossed.

I'm now looking into getting a second t.v. for the basement. It will be mounted on an angle wall and will at times be viewed from a slight angle. For this reason I am leaning towards another plasma in the 42 to 46 inch range. This tv would be low usuage, about 20 hours per week.

Here's where you come in. Should I say screw the black level issue and buy a 2009 Panny at a nice reduced price(1), should I wait for the 2010 Panny's in that size range to help the black level issue(2), or go with an entirely different brand?(3). If you choose option 3 please provide suggestions for the different tv.

Let's hear what you got, and thanks in advance

If you are going to keep the 54 S 1 then get another Panny plasma for downstairs. If you don't keep the 54 S 1 then.....

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. only Panasonic makes the 46" plasma's, which I would recommend for room. (46s1; 6ave, use bonusbuy).

its been mentioned (believe D-Nice, noted Forum contributor/calibrator) that the 2010 model Panasonic's will also have some built-in (firmware) black/light fluctuations; unsure if they'll be as apparent as some have seen in recently purchased Panasonic's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts