AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a sharp LCD from a friend. It is a very simply model. I currently have Fios at home. So here is the deal. When using the red white yellow cables all the channels including the HD ones were available. Yesterday I went I bought some component cables and hooked it to the tv, the TV does not have and HDMI jack, the picture was awesome, but when I went to the HD Channels the TV read unavailable. Does anyone know what I did wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts
Topic moved, title edited.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Verify the TV's input capabilities on the component connections (480p, 720p and/or 1080i) and look at the FIOS tuner's settings and select a resolution the TV supports, then try again. I suspect the tuner outputs the HD content in a format the TV cannot accept and when watching SD content, the tuner outputs 480p resolution the TV is able to process. It is possible the TV is an EDTV which has a max resolution of 480p which is DVD quality instead of 480i which is SD quality. If this is the case, select 480p output for the FIOS tuner.

Also, try connecting the tuner to TV the old way with composite cables (yellow, red and white) to make sure something hasn't gone bad with the FIOS Tuner.

Miner

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up Miner. I checked an sure enough, the TV is not an HDTV it is just a LCD TV. I feel taken. But thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If your FIOS box will output 480p signal for HD channels, it will work pretty well, just not as sharp as a 720p (or 1080p/i) HDTV. A good EDTV can look almost as good as a cheaper HDTV. Only a small consolation, perhaps.

Miner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts