AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried using winisd pro, but I had some trouble getting it to accept the parameters entered for an Avalanche 18. It keeps giving me some kind of error.

Anyway, I'm putting one in a sealed box, and was wondering if someone could help me figure out how large I should go. I'd like to find out big I need to go to hit xmax with 500watts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
If WinISD Pro gives you ERROR,remove one value,say QTS...let WinISD recalculate...BINGO. The Value given by WInISD has to be very close to the specified value,then you are good.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Any woofer out there will hit xmax with 500watts at the right frequency (1hert, lol) an Avanlanche 18 really likes 8 cubic feet sealed, with a bit of stuffing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies..I read the help file and figured out how to enter parameters without errors.

One thing I'm not quite clear on though.. I was always the impression that an avalanche 18 was 4 ohms when wired in series. I noticed that according to the specs the coils seem to be 3 ohms? Can anyone confirm that this is actually the case?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
When does 3 ohms = 4 ohms? The measured DC resistance ( Re ) is 3 ohms. There is some confusion here, as this is not an impedance measurement. In reality when the voice coil is warm ( in operation ) the dc resistance will rise about 20 %.

This would give you about 3.6 ohms resistance. ( DC ) An audio signal is AC, and there is an additional component in measuring the impedance.

So this is about a 4 ohm speaker, however I didn't look up the specs on the Re for the voice coil... or voice coils, just going by what you said.

Impedance changes with frequency and also the type of enclosure the woofer is installed in. ( sealed boxes will have a single large peak, while vented will have two peaks )

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
X2, it depends what enclosure you have, ect. I modeled a dayton sub not too long ago that was 3.6ohms (4ohms nom) and in most enclosures, it never went below 4.8ohms at any point, most of the time was spent above 6 or 8 ohms.

·
Registered
193 Posts
with winisd pro alpha I find if you leave the first group alone (qts,qes,fs and all that) and fill in the rest, the first group will fill its self in. it took me a long frustrating time to figure that out. don't enter the Q parameters first IOW.

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
Look into getting a mach 5 audio IXL-18. they do well in small sealed boxes according to winisd. that is my next project. ~4cu ft is only 9db down at 20hz.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also, looking to build a sealed 18" around 4 cuft, would you recommend the Mach5 IXL or the Elemental Designs 19ov?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i have dual 19ov's in 10cuft with fill and i cant say enough about the amazing product eD has...i have been nothing but impressed with the quality of their products and service...this sub in a sealed enclosure is amazing...it blends in well, but can cause structural damage to the house if you ask for it...really just an awesome sub sealed....

i have not heard anything bad about the Mach5 and the next ported sub i use might be that...but im sure it would be a nice sub to do sealed as well...but in the end i would say go eD for sure!

Ben

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Driver for driver the Mach5Audio should at least match the eD 18" driver. Look at the builds both driver do great, 22mm Xmax ...the Mach5 can take more juice (on paper).

Both are priced to sell. Hardly can anyone go wrong with one or the other.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
If you are looking for good small box 18's you may want to consider the TREO SSI(or even SSX). They are quite happy with a 4.5 ft box and are a step up in quality over the 190v2 and IXL. They are more pricey though. If you contact TREO they will sell you them for about $500. Keep your eye open and you can find them for about $300 like I did

1 - 13 of 13 Posts