AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started using Handbrake to put my DVD's on my PC. I tried the Mpeg format first and it took a 6 gig dvd down to less than 1 gig. There is a definate loss of picture quality. I tired switching to MKV and it also took it down to just under 1 gig. There is also a noticeable loss of picture quality. I don't care so much about file size. I just want to maintain picture quality. Is there any particular setting to change in order to keep high quality picture? thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasminkar /forum/post/18158516

Just started using Handbrake to put my DVD's on my PC. I tried the Mpeg format first and it took a 6 gig dvd down to less than 1 gig. There is a definate loss of picture quality. I tired switching to MKV and it also took it down to just under 1 gig. There is also a noticeable loss of picture quality. I don't care so much about file size. I just want to maintain picture quality. Is there any particular setting to change in order to keep high quality picture? thanks for any help you can provide.

If you don't care about file size - why encode - just rip with MakeMKV and get a pristine 1:1 copy of the main movie. Encoding to such an extent will result in definite loss of picture quality. The time saving is also worth considering 15-20 mins with MakeMKV 2hrs+ with an encode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.