AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new home-theater in a box system..how can i get sound through all the speakers on satellite,vcr,and normal tv?

·
Registered
276 Posts
silverbenz,

Welcome to the forum.

Your question is a bit vague--for instance, we're not sure WHAT HTiB system you have, whether things are hooked up correctly, etc. That kind of info would be helpful.

Assuming everything is functional, most receivers have a matrix mode (or surround mode) that will take two channel material and process it into signals for each speaker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the APEX home-theater in a box,echostar satelitte reciever,emerson Hi-Fi VCR,RCA 46" rear projection home theater Television...everything is working correctly i just can't get it to put sound through all of the speakers...it will when you play a dvd (thereciver is a dvd player too) but on all of they other things it only produces sound out of the left FRONT and Right front

you can see a pic here: http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/html/U...e_Theater.html

that is mine if you could i would be very happy i am stumped!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Well, unless the APEX supports some sort of sound enhancement mode for 2 channel sources, you're only going to get sound from your front left and front right speakers with 2 channel sources (i.e., most anything you watch on TV). From what I can see, it does not do so (which is good, since the "fake" modes sound horrible 99% of the time).

Basically, it's doing what it's designed to do: producing sound how it was recorded. For example, if you play a CD on this setup, it won't play sound in all the speakers--the CD was recorded with sound only for the main (i.e., front) left and right channels. This unit has logos for Dolby Digital and for DTS, so I'm assuming that it supports these formats--that's good, as they cover the type major types of audio encoding for DVDs.

DVDs that are Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 *will* play through all the 5 speakers, just like they should--but be forewarned, don't expect sound from all around *all* the time...depending upon how a movie soundtrack is recorded, some movies will only rarely have surround content (i.e., rear left and right channels). Very few movies have a lot of surround content--most use if for sudden effect (e.g., a plane flying over) or for ambiance (e.g., crickets chirping in the forest).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.