AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some posts but I don't seem to understand it.

My setup: AtiX600 with 9.3.1 drivers, connected via VGA to a Samsung LCDTV. I'm using XP Sp3.

I'm using MPC HC and the VMR9 renderer.

I ran a calibration DVD (DVE HD) and adjusted my black levels. The problem is that the colors seem "washed out". I don't know if I'm outputting color correctly. I know there is 0-255 space color and 16-235. In MPC there's a shader to "force" 16-235 to 0-255 conversion, and the colors look much better. The problem is that it clips the black levels that I adjusted in DVE HD. I mean, I lost "detail" in differencing different shades of black.

I don't know if you'll understand me, I just want to know what's the right choice/calibration/mpc settings to display correct colors.

Thanks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Find the Pixel Format option in Catalyst Control Center (your ATI driver panel) and set it to '4:4:4 RGB Studio levels.' Then, you should be able to calibrate properly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech /forum/post/16988229

Find the Pixel Format option in Catalyst Control Center (your ATI driver panel) and set it to '4:4:4 RGB Studio levels.' Then, you should be able to calibrate properly.

I don't have that option!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I thought that settings was only for HDMI? He is using VGA.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I don't have it for my DVI connection on my 780G.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Video detail below 16 is not intended to be viewed.

Obviously if you clip that data by expanding your range from 16-235 to 0-255, you can no longer use a pluge pattern that has a Blacker than Black bar to correctly set your black levels. But you can use the 2% bar to get a good idea of what should be visible, and if you can see the 2% bar you aren't losing much if anything that you were suppose to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts