AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received my new T.V., a Viewsonic N3740wb . I purchased this set for normal viewing as well as Xbox 360 play. Unfortunately when I purchased my 360, I did not have the foresight to pick up an elite, and as such mine does not have an HDMI port. I'm starting to regret this... a lot.

The thing is I've set the 360 up through the RGB component cable which came with it, but the image quality is appalling. There's noticeable ghosting, objects are jagged and colours seem off. I'm very inexperienced in this field, but from what I understand, component cables are an analogue connection, not digital. Would this be the reason for the poor image quality?

Short of picking up a new Xbox, I don't see a way I can switch to HDMI. So I suppose that leaves me with VGA. Is there really a big difference between HDMI and VGA? Another concern I have is that my T.V.'s manual states that the set cannot display above 800x600 through VGA, would this be a huge problem?

My options seem to be:

a) Sell my current 360 and pick up a new one that has HDMI. Obviously this will likely be an expensive process, and is one I would like to avoid if possible. Does anyone know of any options to exchange a console with Microsoft, such as paying a fee to upgrade?

b) Pick up a HD VGA cable and use that in place of the component cable. What I'm worried about is the limited 800x600 resolution, which seems poor considering my set is 1366x768. Aside from the resolution disadvantage, how does VGA compare to HDMI?

How would you recommend I go about solving my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunmg /forum/post/14157138

Today I received my new T.V., a Viewsonic N3740wb . I purchased this set for normal viewing as well as Xbox 360 play. Unfortunately when I purchased my 360, I did not have the foresight to pick up an elite, and as such mine does not have an HDMI port. I'm starting to regret this... a lot.

The thing is I've set the 360 up through the RGB component cable which came with it, but the image quality is appalling. There's noticeable ghosting, objects are jagged and colours seem off. I'm very inexperienced in this field, but from what I understand, component cables are an analogue connection, not digital. Would this be the reason for the poor image quality?

Short of picking up a new Xbox, I don't see a way I can switch to HDMI. So I suppose that leaves me with VGA. Is there really a big difference between HDMI and VGA? Another concern I have is that my T.V.'s manual states that the set cannot display above 800x600 through VGA, would this be a huge problem?

My options seem to be:

a) Sell my current 360 and pick up a new one that has HDMI. Obviously this will likely be an expensive process, and is one I would like to avoid if possible. Does anyone know of any options to exchange a console with Microsoft, such as paying a fee to upgrade?

b) Pick up a HD VGA cable and use that in place of the component cable. What I'm worried about is the limited 800x600 resolution, which seems poor considering my set is 1366x768. Aside from the resolution disadvantage, how does VGA compare to HDMI?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

You need to setup the 360 to output HD resolution. You're just looking at the crappy 480i=>768p scaler in your TV.

P.J.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Component is not the reason for your poor image quality. You will get just as good a picture as you would with HDMI if your TV is calibrated properly or something isnt broken. Don't use a limited resolution VGA either.

What is your 360 output set to? 720p?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be mistaken about the 800x600 resolution limitation, I looked through the manual in detail and couldn't find any mention of it, and now that he has had a second look my friend can't either.

I've set the Xbox to HD output, at 720p and I've also tried it at 1080i. The image quality didn't improve.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yup, make sure the toggle on your component cord is set to HD, and then go into your system blades and under display change it from 480 to 1080i. Your TV may need some calibration as well, and some of the ghosting may be induced by the fact that you have an LCD (I have yet to see one that will not ghost when you throw some demanding content at it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep the component cable toggle is on HD, I've checked all that. One thing I've noticed is that when I play a standard DVD, the T.V. automatically switches to 576p.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So to recap:

I've made sure the toggle on the component cable is set to HD, and I've made sure the display is set to 1080i in the Xbox system settings. Image quality in games is still poor. When playing DVDs, the set automatically reverts to 576p. Image quality is grainy in both games and DVDs (which are being played through the 360).

Is there much difference between HDMI and VGA?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunmg /forum/post/14157138

My options seem to be:

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

I sold my old 360 without HDMI, and got an Arcade 360 with HDMI. It only cost me $30.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunmg /forum/post/14157314

Yep the component cable toggle is on HD, I've checked all that. One thing I've noticed is that when I play a standard DVD, the T.V. automatically switches to 576p.

Since you have a PAL set then a DVD through component video can only display at 576p (480p for NTSC). To get 720p or higher DVD output you will need an HDMI connection.

Maybe your TV just needs calibrated. Take it off torch mode and turn off any image processing features and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunmg /forum/post/14157599

So to recap:

I've made sure the toggle on the component cable is set to HD, and I've made sure the display is set to 1080i in the Xbox system settings. Image quality in games is still poor. When playing DVDs, the set automatically reverts to 576p. Image quality is grainy in both games and DVDs (which are being played through the 360).

Is there much difference between HDMI and VGA?

Try 720p for your game settings. You still wont be able to up-convert your DVD's without HDMI, but maybe your games will look better. Some native 756 (LCD) TV's dont do a good job with 1080i resolution.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I very much doubt that the TV has a limit of 800x600 over VGA. I'd get the VGA cables and set the Xbox to 1360x768. That should bypass the TV's scaler, which is most likely very poor.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The link you provided clearly states the set accepts native rez via vga. That'll be your best best short of hdmi.

Hook up vga; set output rez to 1360(66) x 768. Should see an improvement.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It could be the 360, the cable or the tv. Determine whether it is the tv by trying the xbox at a friends place or if you have a monitor with Component input. You can test the cable and 360 by using a different cable, or even use the composite cable to see if you have ghosting issue.

Test the VGA input on the TV using your PC as source. You should be able to set the VGA output to 1360x768.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'll echo some of the above comments. I used component at first, and it looked very good on my Sammy LCD. Then I switched to VGA, and it got even better, but I could have happily lived with component. I don't expect that HDMI would be any better, since VGA is coming in at my set's native resolution, so there's no scaling required.

Lots of people think HDMI is the end-all be-all of connections, but it really wasn't designed for any technical superiority. It was designed for copy protection and convenience. Don't get sold on the hype. You should get just as good a pic using component.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
On my set I found the HDMI was sharper than the VGA or the component but, they all looked good.

Get it calibrated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts