AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been looking around for an external microphone for my Nikon D5100 and I can't figure out which one to buy. In the meantime I had an idea. I happen to have a Radio Shack sound level meter laying around that I once used for calibrating my home theater system. I remember playing around with it and using it as a microphone on my computer and had very good results. I figured hooking it up to my D5100 was worth a shot. I know, technically its not a camcorder but this solution should work fine for anything with a microphone input jack.

Since the unit has tripod threads on the bottom I knew I could connect it to my camera. All I needed was a hex screw and some cables for the microphone input.

Turns out I cannot find this meter available online anymore but I did see one in a Radio Shack store on clearance for 14.99 just yesterday. The new model is more expensive but may yield better results..

Here is a link to the actual sound level meter:
SPL Meter

Here are links to the cables that are needed:
3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 RCA Plug Splitter Adaptor

6inch RCA Plug/2 RCA Jack cable

The hex screw can be found at a Lowe's or Home depot for less than a dollar.

Below is a video I just recorded using this setup. I was thinking of adding some foam over the microphone to help reduce noise. However, I am very happy with my initial results and would like to know your thoughts.

Youtube Link

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.