AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'll try to be as brief as possible.

Recently I found myself recording a number of DVD using my Sony RDR-VX530.

I was recording some programs from some old vhs tapes. (not pre-recorded , studio films.. just some old tv and home-movie-type programs)

I made seven dvd from the above mentioned Sony and I thought I was home-free (as all of the dvd played just fine on the Sony unit itself) until I attempted to play these dvds on another player.. a Panasonic DMP-BD85.

Upon inserting one of the "Sony-made" dvds into the Panasonic, the disc's menu was brought up and that's as far as I could go... I pressed "enter" and "Go" on the Panasonic but the dvds would not play.

This happened with six out of the sevn dvds that I made on the Sony VX530 combination recorder..... oddly enough one disc made from the Sony unit was playable on the Panasonic.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, here...basically I've been using for all of my dvd recordings.... Verbatim DVD-Rs and MAM-A Gold DVD-r

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolorkay
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Finalize the DVDs on the Sony recorder.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
When the menu comes up on your Panasonic BR are you able to navigate around the thumbnails? If so what happens when you hit ENTER on your remote?

If you're getting the thumbnails your DVDs must be finalized, have you tried another DVD player?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Lots of possibilities, beginning with the Sony 530 being a not-greatly-compatible recorder and the Panasonic being a BluRay-opimized player that is not particularly fond of DVD-Rs burned on off-spec combo recorders. First thing you need to do is what jjeff suggested: try to play the DVDs in another player or a PC. If they play OK, the issue is with your Panasonic BD player. If the discs are still "stuck", the problem lies with the Sony recorder and/or the blank discs you're using.

The Verbatim brand is no longer a 100% guarantee of compatibility and quality: there are now more variations on Verbatim media than Lady Gaga has sunglasses, and most of them work lousy on DVD recorders. Stores now mostly sell the 16x "Life Series" Verbs, which are horrible for DVD recorders. A few stores still carry the original "AZO" Verbatims, and these are much better, but here again they come from a dozen worldwide factories and some are more suited to recorders like your Sony 530 than others. There are also issues with the MAM-A Gold discs: the highly-touted "gold" feature is not all its cracked up to be. Many recorders and players balk at the "gold" reflective layers, causing stalls and misreads.

You will need to try some universally-compatible blanks known to be optimized for DVD recorder use: this will help rule out the recorder or player as the problem. Go to an online specialty dealer like supeermedia.com or rima.com, and order a pak of either Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x DVD-R or JVC/TY Premium Silver 8x DVD-R. These two blanks burn well on any recorder and are highly compatible for playback as well. If you burn/finalize one on your Sony recorder, and it still does not play well on your Panasonic or on anything else, your Sony recorder may be failing.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquitos306 /forum/post/20829187

I used Maxell and TDK to record of my Sony DVD recorder, Never had any problems.

These two are among the worst possible current media brands for aging DVD recorders, I don't doubt they work fine for you personally on your own specific machine but their overall reputation is very poor since 2007. They do burn OK for some recorder owners, but their variability and PC-centric formulation makes them a bad choice for neutral "burn testing" of recorder/player hardware problems (while TY or Verb 8x -R is optimized for such tests). Also, you just recently bought your Sony RDR-GX257 DVD-only refurb model for what, $60? So you have nothing to lose if your use of TDK and Maxell kills your Sony dead within a year or so- you got your money's worth from it already. If you want to keep its laser in good shape, mix things up a little and throw some 8x in there once in a while, to give the mechanism a rest.

Bolorkay's Sony model and circumstances are different: the RDR-VX530 VHS/DVD combo (a unit he probably paid full price for) is notorious for often burning finalized DVDs that don't play on anything but the recorder itself, which gets more common as the unit ages past a year or two. To narrow down the source of this issue, test recordings made on TY or Verb 8x -R media would eliminate media as the cause, and identify the recorder itself or the Panasonic player (or both) as the culprit. From that point on, bolorkay will know whether he needs to get different hardware or use different media. Might even be able to use TDK or Maxell, but compatibility testing should be done with TY or Verb 8x -R before anything else is tried.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their patience and advice re: my playability "issue"

As is the case with many of these issues the problem was strictly a human one (namely, mine I must admit)

In an attempt to reaquaint myself with the VX530, I had inadvertently programmed the DVD-R disc in the VR recording mode instead of the correct (according to the tech advisors at Sony) "Video mode"

Since switching to the Video mode, all recorded dvds play on both the Sony and the Panasonic unit.

I think, based on what many people have suggested I will give the JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver 8X DVDs a try. (Is this still considered one of the best brands of recordable media, these days ?)

Thank You,

Bob

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Yes, they are. And, they are on sale at SuperMediaStore, in amounts of 200, through 8/21. The price is = $.25 per disc, no shipping charges. I'll be getting some!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts