AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion regarding this system on the Small Form Factor forum on viahardware.com. The gBox isn't a shuttle, but shuttle is apparently coming out with a similar system later this summer. Reportedly the Shuttle will look better (similar to the SS50 barebones system), have USB 2.0 and firewire, 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot.

Andrew

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is now a review of this system at http://www.viahardware.com/cfs868_1.shtm

No Firewire, and the on-board audio is reportedly subpar. Also, having the connectors for joystick and mouse on the front may be useful for LAN parties (gaming) but are kind of clunky for a HTPC.

I'll probably wait and see what the Shuttle SS51 will look like.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Shuttle SS50C looks better, but it's not out yet. I just ordered an SV25 but it won't be an htpc.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
But the Shuttle SS series do have 2 PCI slots so you could add an M-Audio card if you wanted. I don't know how they managed to get 2 slots in there.

I ordered the SV25 because I'm upgrading a system and want to use the leftover P3/850 cpu. I'm just going to use it as storage for video from my ReplayTV 4040, and it should actually fit on top of my tv.

That other system with the handle looks like it's more for gamers who take their pcs to lan parties.

Just found a picture of the Shuttle SS40G (amd version). That's an spdif on the front if you squint really good

http://www.spacewalker.com/english/ss40g.gif

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've actually put together one of these cases and set one up for my HT. I got mine from one of the US Distributors and wrote up a simple review here . Overall, I've been very happy with the case and setup.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How are these for sound levels?

The SS24 was supposed to be very loud. The SS40 was supposed to be better, but still a bit loud.

I have another slim PC I use for a bunch of Linux services. I use a VIA C3 800 CPU. It's not very fast, but it has very low heat output, and doesn't need a CPU fan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The sound levels improved a bit once i installed the Extigy from Creative Labs which isn't shown in my pics. The onboard sound wasn't too bad by itself either but I wanted the digital outputs and also had other plans with an extigy lying around. I haven't played with the new Shuttle cases yet. Was also thinking about putting an SS40 together but opted for this case instead.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As for sound levels, I have the SV25 and it was EXTREMELY loud when I got it. Sounded like a hair dryer (I'm NOT kidding). I replaced all the fans (including disassembled the power supply to replace that one, which was the loudest computer fan I've ever heard), and now it's no louder than my other PC's.... but still not silent by any means.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flungster,

What exactly are you using the Extigy for? As far as I know, no one here has gotten them to work with AC3 passthrough (audio for DVDs.) How has your experience been?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sure this is linked elsewhere, but if anyoine is interested, there's a review of the Shuttle SS50 on The Tech Report. In addition to 2PCI, 4 USB, 10/100 ethernet and 3 IEE1394 ports, it has an svideo out and a 6-pin mini DIN for 6-channel surround sound.

The interesting part is that they didn't kludge the built-in sound, ethernet, etc. capabilities of the SIS 961 South bridge, but opted to add a separate C-Media 8738 audio chip for the six channel sound, a Realtek ethernet chip, and a SiS 301 for the Tv encoding for the Svideo. All in all, it's got a lot of speclty chips where most small form factors try to (over?) leverage a few multipurpose chips.

Is the on-board SiS 301 adequate replacement for an AGP slot? Maybe not. But the PCI slots have enough room for a PCI Voodoo 5 card or similar large PCI video card, per the review, and I don't think an HTPC really maxes out a PCI slot the way a 3-D game might.

The Tech Report also says it's whisper quiet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually don't use the Extigy for anything fancy right now so in many ways I can just use the audio out on the mobo. I just had an extigy around so I decided to use it that's all. The SS50 is a pretty sweet SSF PC also but I am waiting for the newer SS51 to come out in the latter half of the summer - hopefully I'll be able to review it then. For now the CF-S868 is a sweet machine for either an HTPC or a LAN party game machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.