AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a public suggestion to all the HD RPTV manufactures out there: Design them with 2 identically sized aspect ratios, 1.85:1 and 2:35:1. :D

That way we never tell ourselves, 'this movie is smaller,' or 'this movie fits my screen, or 'this movie has those black bars.' (Except old 1:33 movies.)

Please do not bother with 1:33:1, as that aspect ratio is being fazed out; and the 1:33 material that is out there is of a low enough quality to benefit from having a smaller size. Both 1:85 and 2:35, however, are here to stay!! :)

What does every one here (including the set manufactures) think about this suggestion?

-Tim

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit
Bump :D :D
Well, since you're insisting on a response.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit
I would like to make a public suggestion to all the HD RPTV manufactures out there: Design them with 2 identically sized aspect ratios, 1.85:1 and 2:35:1.

?Translation please?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But of course... :)

There are front projection set-ups that employ "constant size," as opposed to constant width or constant height. This is accomplished through the matting on the top & bottom and sides adjusting at the same time. For example, to go from 2.35 to 1.85 the sides would close up a bit and the top & bottoms would open up a bit; and to go from 1.85 to 2.35 the top & bottom would close up a little and the sides would open up a little. Thus, the amount of 'square inches,' if you will, would remain the same for either of the two primary movie aspect ratios

I think this kind of variable matting could be used, perhaps in some very creative ways, in mass-produced HD RPTV's. New Zoom functions would also need to be added.

While we're on the subject, the next generation of (HD) DVD hardware & software should devote the same amount of pixels (approximately) to 2.35 as 1.85, IMHO. :D

Clear as mud?

What do you think?

-Tim

PS Any changing of the OAR should be punishable with long jail sentences!!! :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.