AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Verbatim sold to CMC

This month Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. decided to sell its legendary Verbatim business unit to CMC Magnetics.

It is unclear whether CMC intends to get these businesses and keep them running.

Mitsubishi Chemical no longer sees new opportunities with CD/DVD/Blu-ray media, which is why it is selling not only the brand, but all of the related assets.

Mitsubishi is not the only company to exit optical disc media in the recent years. Such legendary names as Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Maxell, Fujifilm, BASF, and other decided to withdraw from this business in the last ~10 years.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Well, that's a definite R.I.P. for the last quality manufacturer.
The funai's are taking over the world.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, that's a definite R.I.P. for the last quality manufacturer.
The funai's are taking over the world.
Here is the article with this excerpt first:

"CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597/cmc-buys-verbatim-assets-from-mitsubishi

And another:

"However, CMC has already been producing CDs with the Verbatim logo beforehand, so the change of ownership of the company will not affect the quality of its product, and may even lead to a price reduction of Blu-ray Disc."

https://www.elinfor.com/news/the-optical-storage-market-is-shrinking-and-the-legendary-brand-verbatim-is-sold-to-a-taiwanese-company-p-11150

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
F

I still have some blanks which are at least 10 years old.

THE BEST blank media ever produced. Back in the day when people did that "stuff", they were always perfect. Other big names at the time were like 50/50.
Back in the day?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
F

I still have some blanks which are at least 10 years old.

Back in the day?
Maybe 10 years to me is back in the day:). Yes, hundreds of them around here. Could always RW and they worked fine. I use old Memorex hanging from lines around my vegetable gardens so they can spin in the breeze. Birds and critters hate them. Better than a pie tin:D

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
While you can still get blank DVDs online at places like Amazon, it's getting harder and harder to find a decent selection B&M. Stores like Target, W/M, Office Depot/Max basically just sell the crap, CMC bottom line stuff like Verbatim Life, Memorex and such. My last B&M to find quality DVDs(AZO Verbs and even the good AZO Verb DLs) was Microcenter and even MC has shrunk their DVD isle to a fraction of what it once was. And DVDs haven't been replaced by BDs, both are just a dwindling supply.
I just received a spindle of the good AZO Verbs from Amazon and while still a decent price($25/100) I haven't seen a sale like they used to do of a 100 spindle for $20 or even less in a very long time :(
I really don't see CMCs acquisition of the Verbatim name as a price saving measure for the consumer, my guess is now that they've basically got the monopoly the price will be theirs to set :( I mean if you want to continue to burn DVDs you really haven't got much of a choice.......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow, been a long time since I've dropped by here at AVS.... I'm not surprised about CMC buying the Verbatim name outright. This just mirrors the way things went in the cassette tape business. The big brand names started OEM'ing out their production, then eventually just started leasing the name. Toward the end, the Maxell UR, Sony HF, and TDK D tapes on the shelves were all made in the same factory in Indonesia.

Sad to see recordable DVDs (and CDs, for that matter) go this way. The format has been good to me, and I still burn several discs a week. Compact, easy to store, and I'm not at the mercy of HDD failures or my streaming service losing its contract to run my favorite programs, etc.

Verbatim DVD-R/-RW have been kind of tricky to navigate for a while, the budget-line stuff being CMC (or similar?) dreck for quite a while. The last Verbs I bought were AZO 16x DVD-R. So far, all have been fine.

I laid in a big stock of Taiyo Yuden blanks when CMC took them over. I don't plan on buying any more recordable optical media. The last stuff I did buy was some MediaPro Premium CD-R from Media Supply. I suspect (though have no concrete proof) they're made by CMC. I don't use them for critical recordings, but I have to say I haven't had a problem with the 100 or so I've burned thus far.

Recordable media have had a great run - and I think there's still a place for them - but the majority of consumers are going for video and audio streaming.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Yes those are the real deal.......about 4x the price I paid and probably double what I'd like to pay, but very good media none the less :)
As long as I can still get Verbatim AZOs from Amazon in the current $25 price range shipped and as long as I get decent burns with them, that will be my standard discs.
Truthfully I got near perfect burns with the regular CMC made Verb Life's in my PCs but for my standalone burners I prefer the AZOs. Besides at Amazon prices the Life discs are basically the same price as AZOs, often times more :rolleyes: The last Lifes I got were 100/$17 + tax at MicroCenter, not that cheap anymore :(

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Yes those are the real deal.......about 4x the price I paid and probably double what I'd like to pay, but very good media none the less :)
As long as I can still get Verbatim AZOs . . . the regular CMC made Verb Life's in my PCs but for my standalone burners I prefer the AZOs.

@jjeff
So what are these Verbatim Data Life Plus disks? Are these good ones or the low-quality "budget" media. They are certainly not priced as budget media.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is the article with this excerpt first:

"CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597/cmc-buys-verbatim-assets-from-mitsubishi

And another:

"However, CMC has already been producing CDs with the Verbatim logo beforehand, so the change of ownership of the company will not affect the quality of its product, and may even lead to a price reduction of Blu-ray Disc."

https://www.elinfor.com/news/the-optical-storage-market-is-shrinking-and-the-legendary-brand-verbatim-is-sold-to-a-taiwanese-company-p-11150

I would second that..I've been buying Verbatim for ages.. Didn't know it was sold, but they still continue to be the best for me. Tried other brands, and although non are 100% prefect, (you get a few dud), the least i've had is Verbatim. Even Memorex, and TDK, or "Generic" types, i've gone through an at least 25% of 50-spindle of dud's sometimes.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I may not use DVD-R for video any more but I do use CD-R for music and am on my last spindle of T-Y CD-R disks. I was going to go with Verbatim after I ran out but the recent news has made me cautious. So, since 100 CD-R spindles of Verbatim are selling on Amazon for $16, I bought a bunch before the good stuff runs out.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I may not use DVD-R for video any more but I do use CD-R for music and am on my last spindle of T-Y CD-R disks. I was going to go with Verbatim after I ran out but the recent news has made me cautious. So, since 100 CD-R spindles of Verbatim are selling on Amazon for $16, I bought a bunch before the good stuff runs out.
I have used Maxell and Sony a lot for CD-R with excellent results but the ones I have are from some time ago (5-8 years at least) so can't say if the quality has changed now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Another Source of (Possibly?) Quality Blank Media

Good move on stocking up on the *good* Verb CD-Rs before they run out. I did the same thing when TY was bought by CMC.(I find myself using more CD-Rs than DVD-Rs these days.)

For less critical recordings (car copies, "scratch" discs I just want to listen to a while and don't care if they last forever, etc.), I've been using these CD-Rs from Media Supply: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-silver-lacquer-thermal-blank-cd-r-msi60010.html

These are definitely not the cheapest available. MS sez they have AZO dye, and so far out of about 100 that I've recorded, I'm running 100% with successful burns. But that's only in the last 8-9 months, so I have no longevity data yet.

I *suspect* these blanks are made by CMC, though have absolutely no concrete proof except that MS seems to be working closely with them on other products.

They also have Media Pro Premium blank DVD-Rs, too. (Should mention that since, after all, this IS the DVD Recorder forum: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-silver-lacquer-thermal-blank-dvd-r-msi60015.html I haven't tried those since I literally have a lifetime supply of blank TY and "Good" Verb DVD-Rs.

If you sign up for Media Supply's e-mails, you'll periodically get 5% or 7% off deals, usually around major holidays. In fact, if you put some items in your cart and let it sit for a half hour or so, you'll often get a pop up offering you the discount if you go ahead and place the order. Unless you're buying a LOT of blank discs, it isn't a big discount, but heck, why pay more if you can get the same product for a little less?

I bought four 100-disc cake boxes and got a handy little cloth tote bag with the Verbatim logo on it. No biggie, but it kinda showed that Media Supply actually wanted my business. ;)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Gah, this thread is too depressing to contemplate: I had no idea even BD-R as backup storage was considered passe now. The mass herd has moved on to cloud storage, or no storage at all, while I suppose the corporate world has moved to Azure or Amazon or some such. I fear the (probably fast approaching) day when external HDDs and USB sticks disappear: I vastly prefer my files be in my physical possession, thanks.

Perhaps the imminent explosion, implosion and consolidation of streaming services might nudge people back to the thought that, hey, perhaps its not such a bad idea to actually own some physically-stored media files. Disney recently hammered a stake thru the heart of NetFlix core library, a half dozen other big players are poised to enter the fray and trigger a street fight, broadcast networks are getting greedy with distribution fees to the point of cutting their own throats, the cloud is getting hacked more frequently than trees in the rainforest. Lots of factors are conspiring to end the relatively brief period when it seemed the naively utopian Star Trek Holodeck had come true (rely on a one or two beneficent streaming sources for all media consumption, no need to personally own anything, the entire world of music, TV and film will be at my fingertips forever with no petty squabbling among studios or tech giants to interrupt access or bill me by the number of dialog lines).

Fun times ahead. The current generation of entitled kids born with an iPhone in one hand and cheap-as-chips NetFlix subscription in the other will be gobsmacked when old-school business realities return with a vengeance to snatch their assumptions away.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts