Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For the first time in the history of HTPC, we now have a cadence based 3/2,2/2,video decoder/processor/player for software DVD playback. A new era in the HTPC world IMO!

The latest NVDVD 4.0 filters, either from the TheaterTek 2.0 or the Nvidia DVD decoders.

My initial TT2.0 comment:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post4494145

Nvidia just give us a updated NVPP here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...46#post4534246

The new NVPP completely solves ANY Chroma Bug issue under ALL mode. Besides it seems the pulldown detection performance is also improved a bit. Now I'd rate it's detection as usable and acceptable. Now I can run it in the "Smart" in all time.

Together with the FFDShow filter for further picture enhancement, the HTPC software DVD playback quality is now better than ever.

It's not perfect yet. I'd like to see further improvement in these areas:

- better cadence detection

- better VIDEO content deinterlace (like MoComp2, DCDi)

- better Resize in FFDShow

I guess the upcoming DScaler 5 project is now having some competition! :D

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
112 Posts
Would you mind to share your setting for FFDSHOW and Zoomplayer? I have tried Zoomplayer several months ago. I am using MCE now for playing all of my DVD, movie,... with NVDVD 4 decoder. I want to try the FFDSHOW and Zoomplayer again to see how different in PQ.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yes,

could you share which version oif ffdshow you are using (link please) and what your setting are. Resize settings, output color space in particular

I seem to be having problem with TT2.01 and aspect ratios whenever I use ffdshow and the post processor combined. $:3 material works fine but 2.35:1 movies do not come out correctly on my 4:3 setup.

I never had that problem with TT1.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just let us not forget that nVidia is a huge company and that one single man, JohnAd, has developed a free decoder (DScaler) that outperforms nvdvd in many aspects. It already produces much better image quality even though it's still in alpha stage. I'm sure when it'll be beta or release, there will be no competition for it...

I've done some more comparison and testing yesterday and with the right ffdshow settings, there's no way to go back to any other decoder, not even nvdvd.

Regards, Martin.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Martin:

And those right settings would be....................

And the environment you are using to make these claims is.............

I'm sorry, but in my environment (P4, NVidia 6800GT, Sony Qualia, 1080 24pSf, 5' x 12' screen, 13' viewing distance, I don't see what you you see.

Yes, DScaler5 alpha is a good decoder, one of the two best ones available, but what I see using it are artificially sharpened edges with less real detail then the NVidia decoder VPP combination.

I think everyone should make the comparison themselves, because the edge sharpening may make the image look better in their environment, or it may not. FFDShow can also be used to hide the edge sharpening.

The other issue that isn't mentioned here is that you will need to install a CSS breaker to use these filters to play commercial DVD's.

Just my $.02

Vern

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
sorry if i am late to the party but could you clear something up. if you use ffdshow, doesnt that automatically throw the 6800 into software mode and therefore no hardware nvpp but only software nvpp occurs?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MHoefler
Just let us not forget that nVidia is a huge company and that one single man, JohnAd, has developed a free decoder (DScaler) that outperforms nvdvd in many aspects.
If only that we're true, my contribution was to fix a few things in an existing decoder written by Gabest, who built his decoder on top of libmpeg2 which was written by many people but mostly Aaron Holtzman and Michel Lespinasse. Those are the guys who deserve the credit.

I'll be ready to claim the credit for the film detection and deinterlacing when I get that working but at the moment I haven't done that much really, just polishing others work.

The real story here is that the open source method is a viable one even against well funded companies.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.