AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my Roku Media Player set up tonight, and I can report that it plays all of my 169time recordings flawlessly!!!!! I tried recordings made directly to the PC and recordings made to DVHS tape then transfered to the PC using DVHS tool. All of them play perfectly! No audio or video problems at all. I'm VERY impressed. The Roku will allow you to select 1080i or 720P output. So you can view 1080i movies converted to 720P if you like. They look fantastic in both settings. I must say that I had a bit of a problem if I jump ahead too many files at a time. If I skip ahead slowly all is well though. I break my recordings into 1 minute chunks so this allows for easy navigating throughout the recording using the Roku's forward and reverse file skip buttons. To sum things up, the Roku is a keeper for me. Oh, and it plays MP3s and displays high res photos too!

Marc.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Wow this is good news I just hooked up my Roku yesterday. Now Ill have a new use for it.

Marc how are you playing the files back from the pc. Im confused at that part.

Thanks for the positive news.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I'm happy to report the Mitsubishi HD-5000 controller also plays back AVX-1 recordings flawlessly. I'm still evaluating the unit and DEFINITELY have some reservations about it, however. I'm still investigating, but it appears that all signals (including the HDTV tuner and Firewire devices) are converted internally to analog, then redigitized for the DVI output. Unbelievably stupid. The jury is still out, though, since I haven't convinced the unit it can output 1080i to the HDLeeza (it's stuck on 480p). There supposedly is a way to force the output to 1080i, but I have to ask Mits. service first. Good thing I got it at Fry's.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan, you use the ethernet port on the Roku, and stream the files from your PC that way. You need to set up a router between the computer and the Roku since the Roku looks for a network. I bought mine for about $35US. It really easy to setup, just connect the PC to the router, and then the router to the Roku. I'm running about 100 feet of ethernet cable between by computer room and home theater room and it works like a charm. If you really want to get fancy, you can use a wireless lan setup with no cables needed. I even tried streaming TS files from a DVDR on my PC and that works great as well. Almost reminded me of my old CAV Laserdisc days because there were about 4 DVDRs for the particular movie I was watching. Its easier just to have the files on the hard drive to begin with.

Marc.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks for the report Marc. Does the Roku have aspect ratio controls such as zoom, stretch, fill, etc., that can be used for playing high-def files?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No aspect ratio control as of yet. The transport stream player software is still in an early stage so it can only get better. Even so, it's pretty darn impressive.

Marc.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Marc,

Thanks for the quick response. If the Roku had aspect ratio controls, I would probably buy one immediately, because we can't get that feature playing back files through the JVC 30k decoder.

From your description, it seems that the primary advantage of using the Roku decoder for playing HTPC captured avx-1 files over the JVC 30K decoder is the ability to skip forward and backward easily. I hope that this functionality is on the drawing board for DVHSTool for "archiving" (playing) through the JVC decoder.

I use one minute files myself for my HTPC capture with DVHSTool. I usually use the .ts extension naming convention, because I found that the .tp extension creates playback order errors when playing back numerous files sequentially. What file extension name do you use for your captures and have you been able to watch an entire film with all one minute files played sequentially using the Roku decoder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Am I missing something? How do you get a movie to play back smoothly when you record to the hard drive in 1 minute chunks using DVHS tool? I tried to do that and play back all the files but there was always a bit of hesitation when moving on the the next file.

Clay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok - I just downloaded the manual and it talks about the StreamPlayer's ability "including seamless sequential playback of multi-file recording. Wow - this looks like a really cool product. I am going to start saving...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, all of my files end in .TS, but I do have a couple of movies given to me in .TP format. I will try them tonight.

Marc.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Marc, if I recall correctly, the improper sequencing of .TP files occurred in DVHSTool when I reached the 100th file during the archive process, but I think I may have even had problems at file number 11.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Marc -

The Roku requires that you have a DHCP network in order to communicate with it. The only problem is my HTPC is set up with a static IP address. Did you run into a similar problem? Do you know of a way to use DHCP only on the Roku but leave my existing network as is?

Clay

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clay,

I had to add a DSL Router witha 4 port switch. My system wasn't networked before I added the Roku so it didn't really create any problems other than having to buy a router.

Marc.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by claycollier
Marc -

The Roku requires that you have a DHCP network in order to communicate with it. The only problem is my HTPC is set up with a static IP address. Did you run into a similar problem? Do you know of a way to use DHCP only on the Roku but leave my existing network as is?

Clay
There was recent discussion on the Roku-Tech mailing list (which you can join/search at Roku's WWW site). You can set it up to use a static IP address. You have to either telnet in or use a terminal program on the serial port and may have to be able to use the vi editor, but you can do it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ron,

You use a program called Streamplayer to playback the TS files. It's available for free on the Roku site. It is currently a very early version, but they hope to improve on it as they go.

Marc.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I picked up a Roku today to give it a try. After updating the firmware to 1.15 and adjusting the picture size to fill my screen, I downloaded Streamplayer and tried playing some TS files.

Some played fine and others had audio dropout problems that do not exist when playing back through the JVC 30K used as my decoder. So obviously, Streamplayer needs some improvement. Marc -- you mentioned you had flawless playback. You did not encounter any audio issues? Perhaps my source files are somewhat flawed.

Regarding connection to my PC -- is there any way to have two LAN connections? One being the USB Wireless connection to my home network and the other being a hard wired connection to the Roku? My network router and cable modem is not located where the HTPC and Roku are. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ron,

I watched about 2 dozen 169time recordings trhorugh the Roku over the past week or so, and I haven't experienced any audio dropouts. Maybe there's an incompatibility between the Roku's SPIDF output and some audio gear. A few people have had audio related problems, but the latest. software update was supposed to fix the problem.

Marc.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc D Carra
Ron,

I watched about 2 dozen 169time recordings trhorugh the Roku over the past week or so, and I haven't experienced any audio dropouts. Maybe there's an incompatibility between the Roku's SPIDF output and some audio gear. A few people have had audio related problems, but the latest. software update was supposed to fix the problem.

Marc.
There is some sort of audio problem with the Roku and certain receivers/processors. I happen to have one of the problem units. B&K Refernce 50. The latest software (1.5.15) did not improve on the problem over 1.5.13. I really hate listening to DD material though the analog outs. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
B&K Refernce 50. The latest software (1.5.15) did not improve on the problem over 1.5.13.

Marc and Kirby:

Unfortunately, I also use a B&K Reference 50. Not sure which software version I have. But that's disturbing that the audio problem may be related to the processor and not the source. Kirby, is there any known initiative to resolve these issues? It's quite disconcerting to have just purchased the Roku, for the main objective of playing TS material, and now having to deal with these audio dropout issues.

1 - 20 of 567 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.