AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am extremely fortunate.

Its a long story but I ended up not being able to repair the scratch on my new 50inch Samsung (PN590C) but the good news is I sold it to a really nice old lady for her grand children to play games on for $600 on Craigslist

That gives me a chance to get a new 50 inch or maybe even a 60 inch plasma during or after black Friday.

The models I am looking at now are the LG60PK250 or the LG50PK550,( i heard the 750 has greyer black levels) Does anyone recommend this unit for the current price ( bang for buck) or do you recommend a smaller 50 inch for a few hundred less?

I don't really care about features, I just want large screen size and deep blacks and great colors. I am only using my HTPC to connect via HDMI. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LG 60PK250 60-inch is looking more and more tempting to me. I only sit about 6 ft away so I think the 10 inches will make a big difference.

Does anyone own this model? From what I have red it is the same as the 550 but without USB media functionality.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo /forum/post/19537459

The LG 60PK250 60-inch is looking more and more tempting to me. I only sit about 6 ft away so I think the 10 inches will make a big difference.

Does anyone own this model? From what I have red it is the same as the 550 but without USB media functionality.

You really need to get up close and personal with these tv's if you're really going to be that close. My experience with LG has been one of noise...so if you're up that close it may annoy the hell out of you...here's an example...

Buddy of mine owns an LG plasma (don't remember the model sorry) he bought it last year. When watching football there is noticeable noise around areas of high contrast...for example the scores are usually in white and surrounded by a dark red or black box...this produces artifacts galore on his tv. Its noticeable in movies too...its not terrible, but my 3 year old Pioneer absolutely kills it as do my other friends panasonics and samsungs...

If you're looking for a good deal, why not spring for the samsung or panasonic that will be offered on friday morning?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post some pictures later. The TV is great. Much depper black and contrast than my old Samsung. However there are 2 stuck pixel that I found. Not that big of a deal but I'm wondering if i should go through the trouble of replacing it with a new one. The store said they would for no charge.

Is there any way to unstick these 2 pixels? they are near the center of the screen and only really show up on bright backgrounds. One is pink and one is blue.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo /forum/post/19555277

Is there any way to unstick these 2 pixels? they are near the center of the screen and only really show up on bright backgrounds. One is pink and one is blue.

try using an eraser on a pencil and gently push on it, that's how i fixed my pc monitor, had 3 dead pixels on it, if that doesnt work, i would swap it out

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. that method is suggested for use on LCD-type screens, but is not recommended for plasma.

yes, in past threads, I have mentioned this as possible, but was said otherwise. research on the Net has shown it "is" useful for LCD screens, but the plasma's have hardened glass and would not benefit. have noted several posts where owner's, with stuck pixels, have seen them 're-energize' and come back to life w/ alittle breaking-in time/useage.

would recommend preceeding w/ that line & if there's no life, then swapping-out is the best course.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I was going to say... you would have to press really, really hard on that thick glass. Something I'm not comfortable doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts