·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
833 Posts
David,

do you have your copy already? Or did you read an early review.

I have the 3 disc set on order. Does it have French subtitles or closed captions?

I am really eager to see whether the picture is really any good. Few are as picky as i am.

Love this movie!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bjoern!

I have it, we saw it with friends this afternoon: awesome! saw it once in theaters and I knew the soundtrack would be stunning on dvd as it was incredible in the theater. No disappointment, Gans has done one hell of a job! the film is also cut as he wanted, a bit longer than the theatrical cut which was reduced to avoid losing one viewing per day. This slightly longer cut (the only one available anyway, no extra long available even on the collector, which was considered at one time but abandonned ) smoothes the film "acts transition". Good!

As for the subtitles, I have not checked on my player but it's close captions it seems, not standard subtitles.

Only French tracks btw, no English subs.

The image is great, very film like, no EE as far as I can tell. I would have liked a bit more "density" in the colors ( I generally prefer the colors/density of region 1 transfers ), a bit more depth/contrast but I have yet to check it on my PC. I'll leave to you the pro review :) as this movie surely merits the royal treatment you can bring to dvd analysis.

The dts track put the shame on TPM dvd ! It's in the same league of SPR dts, Gladiator dts, Les Rivieres Pourpres dts :) . This tells quite a bit about it! We were all floored by the soundtrack, which sounded even more balanced and a not harsh as the theatrical track seemed to be.

this is reference, demo stuff.

I have the collector edition, nr 14863 :D ( a jpg by email to you :) )

best

David

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are the main differences between the 2-disc set and the 3-disc set? Also, in both sets, are the 2.35:1/16x9 and full-screen transfers on separate discs? I ordered the 2-disc set before I knew of the 3-disc set, so should I worry that I'm missing out on something?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys

amazon.fr is not very ....mhh, reliable as far as information is concerned (as opposed to amazon US) but no problem with buying online. it is 2.35:1 anamorphic enhanced and only that, no 1.33 pan and scan crap :D

the collector edition is identical on disc one and two but adds a third disc, which features some of the best ever made supplements on dvd: it's a complete making of, with anotated stroryboard, a 77minutes "behind the scenes" (even more interesting than the one on disc two ), an photo album and cut scenes. It has been praised by the entire press here. the demand for the collector is incredible.

There is also a lovely booklet.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news10/wolfdvd.jpg

I wish we could have had such an edition for Gladiator :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
The DTS track is excellent (to say the least!), but PQ is very very disappointing to me.

On my HTPC (windvd), I cllearly can see banding problems and orther MPEG2 artefacts.

Backgrounds look very "digital".

Picture is video-like (too smooth!)

They used too much DNR and it is very disturbing (walls, grass....) making textures loosing details when picture moves!

Nop, not a reference to me.

OTOH, sharpness is very good, contrasts and colours near perfection and not too much disturbing EE.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stephane :

I agree the Europeans still need to work on contrast, depth, density. having only 2 tracks and being 1/2 dts, I don't think it's a dvd space issue ( contrary to what "some" would like to say :D ) but a mastering issue. PAL dvds still lack the that touch the best US or Japanese dvds have, generally higher depth, contrast and density.

the details and resolution are there but I wish the guys who did GLADIATOR, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT or VERTICAL LIMIT did it ( EE free :) ) to add that special touch. Yet, it ranks among the best PAL dvds and just behind those above cited.

I await Bjoern Roy analysis once he has his collector I hope.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I won't bother, since it is in FRENCH with no English subtitles. However, all news is pointing to Universal releasing it uncut and UN-dubbed in early 2002. There have been test screenings and those prints were subtitled. No footage was cut according to those that were there. One viewer mentioned an English narration instead of French, I think.

Seeing this in a theater will be an absolute must for me and my prettier half.

I wish Gans' CRYING FREEMAN would get a DVD release in the U.S.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi,

I ordered this disc from FNAC.com after I had a very inspiring conversation with Bjoern (Thanks!!!). It already arrived last thursday, and I watched it friday night with a friend. We were completely blown away.

THIS IS MY FAVORED DVD.

Picture is very good, sound, story, packaging are perfect. No other Special Ed comes near it.

Nuff said!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glad you like it, Philip! Still don't have mine :(

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Frank :)

from IMDB, I thought it'be easier :) :

I like this movie and ESPECIALLY this dvd!

Based on the true story of the Beast of the Gevaudan that terrorised France in the mid-XVIIIth century, the movie aims to tell first and explain afterwards. In the first part, a special envoy of the King of France, altogether biologist, explorer and philosopher, arrives in the Gevaudan region, in the mountainous central part of France. The Beast has been attacking women and children for months and nobody has quite been able to harm it or even take a good look at it. In the second part, our hero Chevalier de Fronsac will not only have to fight the Beast, but also ignorance, bigotry and conspiracy and will rely on two women, one an aristocrat, the other a prostitute, as well as the enigmatic Mani, a Mohawk he met in New-France (Canada).

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have seen this movie and liked it. I can't wait for it to FINALLY come to america. Was originally supposed to be this month, but they are waiting till january or february to finally release it. Then I might be able to actually understand what was going on though I was impressed with it none the less.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yo Frank :)

I fear there will be no Englis dts though. but I wonder how the image will be in nstc ( I prefer ntsc generally, for contrast, respect of colors, density, depth, compression ) though this one ranges among the best that is done in Europe.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Well I ordered it from amazon.fr because it seemed like a really cool flick. This will be my very first foreign or non-R1 disc. On top of that I don't know a lick of French. I guess I'll have to let my imagination run wild and develop my own dialog as the movie goes, though I'm sure I'll get the gist of it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Kevin hopefully you won't be disappointed. I know a few french words here and there but I couldn't understand anyting going on short of Oui, and things like that.

The movie is fairly easy to follow, but you do wonder what is going on during some of the really long conversations.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.