AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this home and the only problem is thus tv nook. It's nit wide enough for a 46in LCD tv and the studded walls are too deep for a swing arm mount. So now I'm stuck with a swing arm mount and a 55in tv. I'll attach pictures of the nook. The walls on either side of the nook toasted the front have no wall studs in them, it's just hollow sheet rock. Looking for the best and least expensive solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Tear the sheetrock down then re-frame and re-rock a shallower and wider recess to fit your 55". Materials less than $100. It's pretty easy to do it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/0

Tear the sheetrock down then re-frame and re-rock a shallower and wider recess to fit your 55". Materials less than $100. It's pretty easy to do it yourself.

Its hard to see in the picture but the back of the nook is actually the corner of the room. Off to the left and right of the picture are the walls of the room. Are you saying take out the hollow part all together? See the picture below in my post. Thanks for the help and fast response!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You could leave the nook itself alone and mount two 2x4's inside. Install them horizontally, parallel to the mantel. Mount them only as deep as you need so the TV CAN sit flush to the front face of the nook. Space the height of the 2x4's (you could use 2x6's as well) so you are able to fix your mount to them. Paint them to match the walls.

You won't see them with the TV in the way and you could even get creative and mount a small LED light to them to light the area inside the nook, backlighting the TV

I would recommend not using a fixed mount. Use a mount that will allow you to pull the TV away from the wall so it is away from any heat when you are using the fireplace. I have the Sanus VM26DD mount and it can pull out like 29" which means you could mount those 2x4's pretty deep into the nook if you wanted to and the mount would still extend out the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time /forum/post/0

You could leave the nook itself alone and mount two 2x4's inside. Install them horizontally, parallel to the mantel. Mount them only as deep as you need so the TV CAN sit flush to the front face of the nook. Space the height of the 2x4's (you could use 2x6's as well) so you are able to fix your mount to them. Paint them to match the walls.

You won't see them with the TV in the way and you could even get creative and mount a small LED light to them to light the area inside the nook, backlighting the TV

I would recommend not using a fixed mount. Use a mount that will allow you to pull the TV away from the wall so it is away from any heat when you are using the fireplace. I have the Sanus VM26DD mount and it can pull out like 29" which means you could mount those 2x4's pretty deep into the nook if you wanted to and the mount would still extend out the front.

The only problem with your suggestion is that the walls I'd mount them too are hollow and have no studs to mount the 2x4's to unless I go towards the back of the nook.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Are you 100% sure the walls are hollow from the edge of the square to where the corner meets the wall? Usually the sheetrock needs something to be secured to. If the area is framed out it would be easy to mount 2 X 4's where the other guys are suggesting and mount it that way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok, I would presume there are studs at the corners at least (but no guarantee they are 2x4's). Otherwise, what is holding up the sheetrock? So...if that is true you could mount two 2x4 "rails" on each side. They would also be horizontal and go front to back and attach at the front to a stud and the back to a stud (you'd have two on each side - 4 total). Your cross-boards would them attached between them.

Basically build an "H" shaped frame and mount it horizontal to the floor - meaning you would see the "H" shape looking at a floor plan.

The other option is to build a frame UP from the top of the mantle...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/0

Are you 100% sure the walls are hollow from the edge of the square to where the corner meets the wall? Usually the sheetrock needs something to be secured to. If the area is framed out it would be easy to mount 2 X 4's where the other guys are suggesting and mount it that way.

They feel and sound hollow. I just moved in so I'm waiting to unpack to find my stud finder to make sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

Ok, I would presume there are studs at the corners at least (but no guarantee they are 2x4's). Otherwise, what is holding up the sheetrock? So...if that is true you could mount two 2x4 "rails" on each side. They would also be horizontal and go front to back and attach at the front to a stud and the back to a stud (you'd have two on each side - 4 total). Your cross-boards would them attached between them.

Basically build an "H" shaped frame and mount it horizontal to the floor - meaning you would see the "H" shape looking at a floor plan.

The other option is to build a frame UP from the top of the mantle...

They feel and sound hollow. I'd assume the Sheetrock is hung towards the top of the whole thing but here again I'm constructionally challenged. If I can't do the H frame as your suggesting would a triangle frame in the back of it work as well?

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are saying triangle-shaped and attached to the two back walls of the nook - in essence the two MAIN walls of the house)? Absolutely. But you will definitely need a mount that has an arm or arms to extend it away from the wall so the TV will be out in front of the nook.

I used this mount:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMAA26B-...1&sr=8-7-spell

And while it's not cheap the quality is excellent. You can see my kid hanging from mine toward the end of my build thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

You are saying triangle-shaped and attached to the two back walls of the nook - in essence the two MAIN walls of the house)? Absolutely. But you will definitely need a mount that has an arm or arms to extend it away from the wall so the TV will be out in front of the nook.

I used this mount:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMAA26B-...1&sr=8-7-spell

And while it's not cheap the quality is excellent. You can see my kid hanging from mine toward the end of my build thread.

That's actually the mount i got for my tv

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Long time for update but I've been busy. Ok the mount is not long enough to mount on the walls. How tough is it to widen these tv nooks? Would I be better off covering it up? I'm just afraid I'll do something and it won't e strong enough to hold my tv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.