AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my head around the myriad of s/w h/w recommendations, and I've put together a very simple flow-chart to help me put everything in perspective. (see attached gif)

A couple of questions (a month of reading and I'm still a bit confused):

1. If I use a M-Audio SC, would I still need an amp?

2. Does the M-Audio SC do the decoding (DD, 5.1 etc.)? If so, will a power-amp suffice, or will I still need a pre-amp (or integrated amp)?

3. I've been told by a HT enthusiast friend that if my pj has weak deinterlacing (eg. the AE300 that I'm waiting for), my cable tv will look horrible, even with Dscaler. Is that true? Would I need a dedicated h/w scaler/deinterlacing card such as Immersive Inc's H3D on top of Dscaler to get a decent cable tv picture?

Would appreciate any help/comments/corrections to my questions/flow-chart.

Cheers

Darren

Attachment edited (Thanks to Phat Phreddy's post)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
1) No you still need amps... That should be YES you still need amps.. I read it as can I do without amps !!!

2) No the soundcard does not do the decoding but the SW DVD application does... This way you do not need an integrated though ease of use may be a reason to get one...

3) dScaler is a SW de-interlacer... read about dScaler's benefits and drawback but it does essentially the same job as a HW scaler...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The flow chart should be...

Cable -> TV card -> worked on by dScaler -> Video card -> Projector.

The sound can either be direct to your integrated or via a loopback cable to your soundcard and then on to power amps if no integrated (stereo only)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
1. Yes

2. You can either use a software DVD player(e.g. WinDVD, PowerDVD, Theater Tek, Zoom Player, etc.) + M-Audio SC 5.1 analog outs or you can use the M-Audio's S/PDIF out for "pass-thru" to an external pre/pro.

3. There are lots of topics regarding this. Kindly use the forum's search function.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess if I want to get the best (DD) out of a HT amps & speakers I should use M-Audio's S/PDIF out for pass-thru to an int amp.

Thanks guys for the advice and comments.

Cheers

Darren

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by muk
So I guess if I want to get the best (DD) out of a HT amps & speakers I should use M-Audio's S/PDIF out for pass-thru to an int amp.

Thanks guys for the advice and comments.

Cheers

Darren
It depends on what your equipment consists of. Some prefer the M-Audio 410's DACs + 5.1 analog outs to "real" pre-pros/amps. YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.