AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people around these parts will tell you that Onkyo USA has terrible customer service, and they very well may have had a bad experience with them. I just wanted to start this thread to actually give them a bit of good feedback and let some of you out there on the fence know that they aren't all terrible there.

I purchased a refurbished Onkyo 805 from ShopOnkyo early last week. I previously owned a 605 for about 6 months and couldn't help but upgrade to the better hardware. I was of course extremely stoked to get the thing and was loving the sounds it was making until about 4 days ago. After about 5-6 days use, the receiver began to drop the audio at random times and for random lengths of time. I originally credited this to overheating as it first happened after some heavy usage. But the receiver continued to do it even if the unit was cold to the touch and had only been powered on for 10 minutes. It was fixable by switching from the input I was currently using to another, and then back to the first input.

I contacted CS this past Monday and explained my situation. After checking ShopOnkyo and seeing they had no more refurbished units, I decided I wanted a full refund on the purchase price (shipping was free). I had to try a couple of different extensions, as some of the reps weren't at their phones, but I finally got a rep on the phone after about 5 minutes. The woman was very kind and promptly agreed to send me a pre-paid Fedex shipping label and to give me a full refund upon return of the unit. The label arrived today (Thurs.) and all is well.

I have already received my replacement 805 from B&H photo which has a smoking deal on a NIB receiver right now, see here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_Channel.html

Again I just wanted to make this thread to give Onkyo CS some credit as I feel they are constantly bashed and let you guys know that they actually provided me with quality customer service.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yea, every one at Onkyo is not all bad. I had a great experience dealing with Bob Elder, a Product Support Rep at Onkyo in getting my firmware upgraded on my Onkyo 705 receiver. He was very helpful to me in getting this taking care of since my service center was denying the existence of any newer version. A couple of emails later it was done and my firmware was installed. From now on, he is my new go to guy for any other problems I might have with any of my Onkyo products..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It might actually benefit some of us to request specific people that we know will get the job done right. I just wish I had asked the woman's name that helped me, I'm bad about forgetting to do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts