Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wabisabi:
A very anti-HDTV and pro Datacasting article in today's MSNBC.
Someone came to this forum several weeks ago offering free hardware and software to try and entice folks to participate in their datacasting. If I am not mistaken, they did not get a single person to sign-up.

Datacasting could be another solution looking for a problem.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-20-2001).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is more anti-datacasting:

" Aiming to use the digital spectrum for advanced data broadcasting, a novel idea that consumers don’t really understand, seems ludicrous in light of the fact that transmitting the more obvious application, high-definition television, has proven to be a comedy. "

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A clip from the article:

Quote:
A significant part of its demise was that the clumsily named Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) Trellis Coded 8-Level Vestigial Sideband (8VSB) standard, the digital format that Geocast was using, has proved highly defective.
Another quote:
Quote:
Over the past year, broadcasters have spent a few million dollars sending test vans to Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Cleveland to further test digital TV, with disappointing results.
It is sad to see mainly negative reporting about HDTV in the "mass media". With "news" like this, Joe Sixpack will never seriously consider even looking into HDTV, let alone buying a system.

-Wabisabi

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The best thing we can do is to show other people our systems. They will then talk to other people about it "Boy, I saw so-and-so's HD system the other day and it looked awesome". In the end, I think that this kind of evangelizing is the best thing we can do, since sending flames to people who write this kind of stuff is a waste of time. They either don't know their waste exit from a hole in the ground, or just want to make headlines, or have an agenda of some sort, or maybe they are just curmudgeons who like to whine.

Either way, it ain't gonna do any good to scream at them. We need to take this thing from the roots up, and that's best done by spreading the word ourselves. I'm not suggesting orange robes and handing out propoganda at the airport necessarily (though if you think it'll work please do.) I think that just letting people 'see the light' themselves will go a long way. It starts the talk and buzz happening, among the people who will then consider buying and at least talk to other people about their new experience.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

·
Registered
301 Posts
I dunno... Whenever I hear anti-8VSB stuff like:

"...Angry broadcasters now march on the castle of ATSC. Chants of ‘Kill the beast!’ get louder..." I just feel instantly suspicious. I have to wonder if Brad Dick knows the two Bobs real well.

-Dave

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Actually the artical said nothing of HDTV. It only trashed the 8vsb delivery system. I think Geocast's failure points in our favor. That datacasting is not a business. Perhaps if the spectrum were used for what it was intended, HDTV and multiple SDTV on non-primetime hours, they may actually make money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now that people have 500 crappy compressed home shopping and bowling channels, OTA broadcasters should realize that HDTV is a good way to draw people back to the nets. I'll certainly be watching more OTA programming now that I have my system working...

Of course, this is just MHO...

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now that people have 500 crappy compressed home shopping and bowling channels, OTA broadcasters should realize that HDTV is a good way to draw people back to the nets. I'll certainly be watching more OTA programming now that I have my system working...

Of course, this is just MHO...

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.