AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received mine today and I do have a few thoughts that I want to share.

It was easy to hook-up, about 10 minutes to unpack, hook-up, plug in and turn on. Since this is manufactured by LG, those of us that have a HD-200/Zenith 520 STB will start to notice that some of this stuff in the Set-up Menu looks familiar. As soon as I turned it on it wanted to scan for channels. I choose to follow the Owners Guide to be safe. It scanned in all the Digital Channels available in my area (LA, Calif) with no problem. So now that that was out of the way--- well lets take it for a ride and get familiar with it. First thing is that I agree with you guys that the "Program Guide" has a lot of room for improvement, this OTA data that this thing is suppose to use just ain't there, I think I got 2 channels that has a semblance of programing information. I don't think that this is LGs (Zenith) fault, I also don't know if there is something better out there either. The Owners Guide is also weak but I think that most people will still be able to get up and running in no time and will be able to figure out a few things just by trial and error. Editing Channels was pretty straight forward-- follows the concept of the HD-200 and the Zenith 520 STBs. I also liked the the idea of adding Logos to identify my channels. Well, Dave how does it record and how does the Picture look. I went ahead and manually programed a few shows and turned the unit off. Well at the set time on comes the HDR-230 and Bingo, we are recording, so far so good. A few hours later it was time to taste the pudding--- Yes, Wow, Fantastic, Looks just like it was LIVE. I honestly could not see any flaws in the recorded programs- looked pristine to me.

What I do find annoying is those "BARS" at the bottom of the screen that requires me to push extra buttons on the remote to get rid of them, they seem to come up everytime I want to Stop, Pause, FF Forward, etc. I hope LG re-thinks this on future generations. I also found that when you manually set-up a program (Reservation) like Jay Leno, which is on Monday-Friday, that the "Repeat" option only has "Once", "Daily", and "Weekly". Uh-oh no "Monday-Friday" or "Saturday-Sunday" option, again I hope LG adds these options in future generations. I also noticed that there is a 2 minute lag time between the Brodcasters and the Timer on the HDR-230, the last 2 minutes of one show was cut-off. Again I don't think that this is the fault of the HDR-230 or LG.

Overall I am more then satisfied, I give it a 7.5 out of 10 for its Features, Functionality, Picture Quality, and Ease of Use. I think of this thing in terms of a "Digital VCR" and I will operate it under that premise. It will get me through the "New TV Season" just fine and hold me over until we see what the HD-TIVO promises us.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Dave,

One thing to keep in mind is that the OTA programming information is the responsibility of the broadcasters. Their time, and schedule information is always off if you check out the Local HD forums and the HD hardware forums there are tons of complaints about it.

Now, there are other methods of obtaining program information and the next LG/Zenith will use TV Guide programming and not rely on the PSIP information.

If you've followed the threads on the HDR230 you can also set the clock manually and not rely on the broadcasters PSIP information. This way, your time is always right (according to your settings) and you won't miss that last two minutes of programming. The 3410 I believe also has that option.

Oh, and thanks for the mini-review. :)

Troy
Anxiously awaiting the LST-3410a..... :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Those progress "bars" at the bottom matter more in the new unit (LST-3410A). With them you can move around within the playback similar to using Windows Media Player.

As mentioned above, the new model will not depend on PSIP for program guide info, or lack there of.

Sorry about the issues of the Owner's Manual. Try to understand, when I first get that, it is in loosely translated Korean. Which is VERY similar to the way that Yoda talks (at best). ;)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input and responses. If and when the LST-3401A is released and you guys give it high reviews and marks I think i will be more then tempted to buy one.

Does anybody have any little SECRETS thats not covered in the Manual that you would like to share with us?

Thanks.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.