AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, one of our patients managed to disable the TV speakers on his Samsung Smart TV. If you go into the normal menu it still says 'TV Speakers' as the source, not 'External'. I tried going into the service menu but there's nothing obvious there, to me at least, for disabling/enabling the TV speakers. I plugged in a AVR and the optical out still works. When you change the volume the on screen display shows the volume going up and down but no sound.

I'm guessing there's a hidden function somewhere that will re-enable the speakers, if anyone knows what it is I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
This is a long shot but is there a headphone jack on that TV? And if so is something plugged into it? (that normally disables the speakers).

Or is there a headphone setting in the menu that may be over-riding the speaker settings?

The model number of the TV may be helpful - someone familiar with it may know what is going on.....

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back, I had to travel to the site and get the information.

Model number is HG55NC690EF, which is a business/hospitality class TV per Samsung. There is no headphones jack as far as I can see, and nothing is connected to it except the power cord and the cable.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back, I had to travel to the site and get the information.

Model number is HG55NC690EF, which is a business/hospitality class TV per Samsung. There is no headphones jack as far as I can see, and nothing is connected to it except the power cord and the cable.
Under "System" ensure that "Sound Bar Out" is set to "Off"

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
It IS possible the TV sound board/card went bad. It is a Samsung afterall. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
...Model number is HG55NC690EF, which is a business/hospitality class TV per Samsung. There is no headphones jack as far as I can see, and nothing is connected to it except the power cord and the cable.
Since it's a hospitality model, it may have a hidden "Hotel Mode" where certain settings can be locked (such as volume level so as not to be heard in adjacent rooms). LG and Panasonic TVs have this feature so it's likely that the Samsung does too. Find out how to access it and see if he somehow locked the volume level to zero.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Thank you for the reply. There is no Sound Bar options under the system menu. I also checked the service menu and couldn't find anything that was obviously related to a sound bar setting.
The manual indicates that there ARE sound bar options . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to get into the 'Hotel' menu and the sound bar is set to off.

It IS possible the TV sound board/card went bad. It is a Samsung afterall. ;)
I never really thought this was the case because the nurses believe they know who did it, and now I know it isn't the case because the TV in the other lobby is no doing the same thing.

FYI, these TV's are in an elder care residency facility.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I managed to get into the 'Hotel' menu and the sound bar is set to off.

I never really thought this was the case because the nurses believe they know who did it, and now I know it isn't the case because the TV in the other lobby is no doing the same thing.

FYI, these TV's are in an elder care residency facility.
Aha! SO you have a resident that is playing with you...

I agree, if a second Samsungs volume went out (stranger things have happened) then likely the cause is a resident. You don't happen to have a third Samsung set around that IS working? If so, Start comparing the menus for the two and see which is off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts