AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see constant thread here from people seeking the build the quietest PC possible. I don't understand it myself, as I have my HTPC in another room and use a long VGA cable, RF mouse and keyboard and a firewire drive...but to each his own. But I was looking through a recent issue of "Mix" magazine, and found Carillon Audio Systems . The buyers of their systems are audio professionals - recording studios, project studios. Anyone who has spent a large amount of money building a great sounding room and isn't going to plop a noisy, rattling PC down in the room and have it mask all the low-level details they've spent so much time and effort capturing.

Their systems are not cheap, and the default configurations are not optimized for HTPC use (they have the wrong video card). But depending on how you value your time, it might make a lot of sense. The case is made of milled steel and aluminum. The feet on the case is made of Sorbothane. The drives are in special sleeves. The rack ears have rubber gaskets.

They compare their unit to a Dell system (already quiet compared to most "white box" systems) and a Mac G4. Their noise page says:

Quote:
The results are self explanatory. Whether idling or with the hard drive active, the Carillon is more than 5dB or 1.8 times quieter than the Mac G4 and more than 8dB or 2.6 times quieter than the Dell. Even with its hard drive busy, the AC-1 is substantially quieter than the standard PC just switched on and left alone.
Anyway, it looks interesting. I'd imagine they'd consider making a special model for HTPC use, with a better video card. Again, they are not cheap, but I'd imagine some folks have spent substantially more trying different components.

I have no connection with this company. I just found it to be an interesting ad.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Branxx has one of these... Did a pretty good review of it that I was very interested in...

Most of what they do we do but the power supply issues were interesting...

Also have alook at these.... Can have 2 PCI slots so a soundcard and a PCI radeon... For the low noise low processing PC... As an audio only this would be a really cool little box...

http://www.hushtechnologies.net/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.