AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ,I'm usually lurking and reading in the plasma forum and have been for a year or so.

I have chosen to go with the Panasonic 50PX500U,waiting a week or so for the price to drop to make the purchase.

I'm also in need of a new receiver and dvd player. Currently I'm looking at the Denon 2805s or 985s receivers and the Denon DVD 2910. I would like SACD ability.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the technical side of things, I just want to hear good music and see a greta picture. That being said I basically want someone to direct me towards a model or tow and I will narrow it down from there.

I will be for the time being using a moderate quality set of Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers. I WILL upgrade in the future.

The room is 16x21

I've also been told to look at Harmon Kardon for a receiver and DVD.

The system will be used mostly for movies/TV, but I still enjoy my music when my little ones are out of the house with my wife.

Someone please set me on a straight path and give me some guidance.

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mike

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
I would like SACD ability
Before you get too deeply involved with your purchase, you might want to ensure there are adequate SACD titles out there to suit your needs. After getting pulled into the SACD, DVD-A hype, I've realized it's a battle that essentially won't be won and not a whole lot of titles are being released for hi-rez format.

I guess I'm just more of a 2-channel/redbook audio fan at the moment.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I can't speak for most of your gear but I did take a close look at the denon 2910 and passed in favour of the panasonic s97. Much better quality and less expensive. I think Secrets also rated it far more highly in their dvd player comparison.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SACD is by no means a deal breaker,just something I thought I'd like to have. It seems that the higher end units only handle SACD and the diffrence is price is usually substantial.

I will take a look at the Panasonic and read some reviews.

thanks guys

anyone else with some suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.