AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I've done some searching and browsing on here and in Toms Hardware with little insight and I'm hoping I can get some direction. I'm getting a magenta tint to any 1080p playback. Originally I thought it was just limited to either Flash or HTML 5 playback, but there might be more to this problem.

First the equipment:

- Gigabyte H87N-WIFI (4670k i5 chip)
- GTX 660 graphics card
- SilverStone BD writer (hardware appears in BIOS as Matshita), slot load
- Vizio E470 television
- Windows 8.1
- nVidia Experience and driver, updated to latest (3/18/15)

Observed behavior:

- Youtube

I have the Magic Actions plugin installed (through Chrome) and may force playback in either Flash or HTML 5. Currently if I force 1080p playback in Flash, I'll get a magenta tint. If I force HTML 5, playback is alright. If I run at 720p, everything is fine using either player.

- Steam

Games run fine at 1080p native resolution or any lower resolution, no issues. I have not encountered this problem on video playback in games. Any other problems have usually been solved by downloading the proper decoder.

- DVD/BD playback

DVDs play fine, no problems. However, I just got a new BD drive bundled with PowerDVD 10. I patched it to its latest version and a BD disc displayed the same magenta tint. I didn't have BD playback software before now and did not test it with the older drive.

- Amazon Prime Instant Video

No problems in Chrome either at standard or HD resolutions. I do not recall whether Amazon plays content at full 1080p.

- TV

I do not have cable and have not tested HD video over the tuner. Likewise I do not have a separate BluRay player.

- TV inputs

I have replicated the behavior across all three HDMI inputs to the TV. I've also tried HDMI-HDMI and currently am using HDMI-DVI. I haven't yet experimented with the motherboard's onboard signal (Intel HD I presume).

The most relevant thing I've found in my searches so far is a comment from Tom's Hardware that HDCP may have something to do with the issue. I'm unclear how or why this would happen in a normal Youtube transmission, but the fact that the problem is restricted to 1080p makes it sound at least marginally plausible. Can anyone familiar with the copy protection shed some light on this theory?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
13,631 Posts
I don't think it's HDCP. HDCP errors usually results no picture, full screen of snow of flashing. It seems the issue might be your TV or HDMI cable you are using. Without using another device to test, it is hard to say which is which.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for reminding me. I had tried the system using another monitor and the Youtube issues went away. I haven't hooked up the alternate monitor yet and run PowerDVD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I have to amend one of the behaviors.

Messing with Magic actions some more, it really does seem like 1080p is problematic and not the player. I can hold and force 720p and it'll be fine. I'll try to experiment with BluRay playback some more.

Also reiterating the fact that I've used two different cables and two different sources. No difference, really, between HDMI and DVI signals from the video card.

·
Registered
13,631 Posts
1080p uses most bandwidth. So, this indicates the cable is the problem. If you use AVRs, there are two HDMI cables in question here, one from PC to AVR, one from AVR to TV. You'd better hope it is not your TV that is not up to task :)

The best way is to get a $30 BD player and try it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts