AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just tried something that helped to increase the dynamics, soundstage and three-dimensional imaging in my system.

I used the "rear-channels" in my amp along with it's "front-channels" to "bi-amp" my speakers.

The results were really quite remarkable, given the mismatch in my speaker cables. I got really spectacular three dimensional imaging. Also, the presentation of music seemed bigger and fuller. I did get a little more bass - but that could have been due to the preamp I was using since it has a 3dB bump on the second channel (can also be changed at the factory to be the same as the first pair of outs).

The reason for all of this is that I am doing a review of Granite Audio's 770FP preamp for Positive-Feedback online, and it has two sets of outputs you can use for biamping without having to get a pair of "Y" connectors. So, I thought I would hear what it sounds like.

My results were really quite remarkable. I am going to have to match my speaker cables more carefully for me to leave it this way. I have a pair of Monster zip cords that I mated with a Tara Labs 1800 bi-wire. The other interesting thing was that my system sounded better with the better cables (Tara Labs) on the bottom end, vs the better pair on the top end.

If you are looking for that tweak to get that extra something out of your system and you have a multi-channel amp (or even a spare), try it - I'll bet you'll really like your results.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I'm a bit confused perhaps due to my unfamiliarity with the Granite preamp. Does the preamp permit biamping by utilization of an active crossover or something?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The preamp has two pairs of amp outs. So, instead of having to use a brass "Y" connector on the preamp's outs to split the signal to your pair of amps, you go directly from preamp to amps.

I also understand each pair of the outs are discrete signals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.