Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am looking at ditching my cable and going to a distributed replayTV/DirectTV system.

I am considering a ReplayTV for my living room, one for my bedroom, and possibly another viewing only option in another room.

I would also like to use my DirectTV in my bedroom. This sounds like a wiring nightmare (can't run on standard cable). Is it? I plan to run 100BaseT throughout my house, so the ReplayTV stuff doesn't really scare me.

Any suggestions on a DirectTV setup I should investigate?

Ok, now for my ReplayTV questions.

I read somewhere that ReplayTV plays commercials during Pause. Is this really true? Is there a hack around it?

Also, what is the likelyhood the hard drive upgrade utils will still work for the 4500 line?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I can answer the pause ad question. When you pause and sonicblue has a promotion going on, an ad image (video billboard) displays until the screensaver kicks in. It doesn't change, has no sound nor motion, and is only there for a few weeks every few months.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deadken
I read somewhere that ReplayTV plays commercials during Pause. Is this really true? Is there a hack around it?
Not video "commercials" - no. If you Pause a program, after a few minutes the Replay will show a still picture. By default this picture is an ad for Replay 4000, or some other image of Replay's choosing. But if you don't like Replay's default pause screen - then simply upload your own digital photos (built-in feature, no hacking required) and choose them to be your own custom pause screen.

For example, my pause screen shows pictures from "Family Vacation 2002", not Replay ads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
Not video "commercials" - no. If you Pause a program, after a few minutes the Replay will show a still picture. By default this picture is an ad for Replay 4000, or some other image of Replay's choosing. But if you don't like Replay's default pause screen - then simply upload your own digital photos (built-in feature, no hacking required) and choose them to be your own custom pause screen.

For example, my pause screen shows pictures from "Family Vacation 2002", not Replay ads.
Thanks.

After the fiasco in England and Tivo, I was very worried. I am sick to death of my Cable TV's popup ads.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You will want to run RG6 Coax and Standard Phone Lines to Each DirecTV Receiver Location.

All RG6 should be home runs from Dish Location.

You will also want to run Cat5 Twisted Pair to Each Television Location and Possible PC or Smart Appliance Location. All CAT5 should be home run to a single router location. Router may be located close to Cable Outlet/Modem or DSL Outlet/Modem.

I would advise installing a DirecTV Receiver in at least two locations. A major part of what you are paying for in the ReplayTV is the recording ability.

Note that your playback location will not have access to Live or delayed live broadcasts. You may only view a steram from another in-house Replay once a recording has been finished. At the end of the recording it becomes avaialble to stream.

Also note that you may see some brief "Video Temporarily Unavailable" outages when the streaming machine is maxed out, i.e., simultaniously recording and streaming previously recorded programs. (This may be a problem with my setup and not ReplayTV, although I have seen some others describe similar scenerios).

Hope this helps.

As far as the advertisements go, they really are not a big deal. They have not bothered me at all. If SonicBlue can make some additional funds from this them more power to them.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you are planning on switching to DirecTv, you should really consider UltimateTV and DirecTiVo. Both are very cheap for new subscribers and offer better picture quality than stand alone systems. Also, both have two tuners something that make conflict resolution much easier.

Your RePlayTV solution will cost you a minimum of $700 per room, not including the cost of the DirecTv receivers. The integrated units are under $300 each and the monthly fee or (lifetime fee with the DirecTiVo) covers all the boxes on one account.

It is possible to use a frequency stacker to a single standard cable to carry the DirecTv signal. I cannot remember what it costs, but it is around $100 an end-point. You would need to make sure that your cable is rated to carry 2GHz (good RG6 at a minimum) and that your spliters also are very high quality. You can search the UltimateTV or DirecTiVo fora to find more on this.

Finally, as to what TiVo UK did, one should be clear that they did not force anyone to watch the show that they recorded, that the show they recorded did not supersede any scheduled recording, and that the show did not lessen the amount of space for recordings that TiVo promised users would be available. The recording was done on idle units only in a space that TiVo reserves for system use (the 35 hour TiVo receivers actually have space for a bit more data that is kept for system functions like upgrading the OS). Based on the reaction, I would not be surprised if they provided an opt-out in the future.

/carmi

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
...Based on the reaction, I would not be surprised if they provided an opt-out in the future.
Yeah sure. In my long experience with TiVo, it's beginning to appear that the only surefire way to opt out of this sort of thing is to "opt-out" of TiVo altogether. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.