AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

If I don't want to buy an amp (dorm room has little space), but I don't want to use my lcd's internal speakers, how can I get sound from a pair of external speakers? This is probably really dumb but i'm new to this stuff.

I'm starting to consider just using the built-in 10 watt speakers (total of 20 watts) that come with my lcd. If I'm about 2 meters away will it really matter if the sound isn't that great or is it extremely noticeable? This is a very small room after all and it's not like I can play things very loud with people living right beside me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Maybe get yourself something small that can do it all like the Peachtree Decco.
http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/decco.html

It's $800 bucks and it has built-in DAC with USB, toslink, and spdif. Also has 2 analog inputs for a cd player or whatever else and 50watt amp. What this means is that you can hookup your PS3 via toslink, PC via USB, and one more thing like a cd player through the coaxial. Also if your TV has analog outputs, which most LCDs do nowadays you replace your TV speakers when watching regular TV. Price may seem a bit steep but for amount of feature it has IMO it's quite a bargain nowadays, especially for it's size.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just buy a pair of powered speakers from something like guitar center etc

They have what appears to be at least 30+ options in all size and price ranges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts