AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in theory that 7.1 adds an extra speaker to the surround back channel in a 6.1 setup. The source itself is mono. My question is in the wiring of the extra speaker, should I wire them in series or parallel? Or is it better to get self-powered speakers and use the pre-out direct inputs that allow for a seperate sbl and sbr sources? Also what 4 speakers would you recommend for this setup?

·
Registered
395 Posts
That answer depends on the ohm load rating of your AV amp for the surround back channel. It sounds like you're using 2 speakers for that channel. Just make sure you don't exceed the ohm load with the 2 speakers.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
6.1 and 7.1 seek to do the same thing but do it differently. The source in 7.1 is not mono per se but matrix left and right side channel information ( to a degree all channels are mono in a digital surround setup ). And the matrix for 6.1 is different than 7.1.

If you are hooking up a 7.1 speaker setup you should have a 7.1 surround processor and enough amplifier channels for the extra speakers. In 6.1 the mono rear channel receives a matrixed side channel information but this signal is steered there by the processor. You need separate home runs for each speaker in either the rear channel in a 6.1 or a 7.1 setup. If you run the "7" channel off of the "6" channel you will have a double 6.1 hookup and this would not be recommended.

If you have a long room with more than one seating location you may need more than one side channel on each wall. You could hook them up in either series or parallel ( parallel being preferred ) as you want the same signal coming to these speakers. The same can be said for rear channels although I have yet to find a room wide enough, save a commercial cinema, to need extra rear channels. But side channels and rear channels should not share the same signal. Think of your rear channels in a 7.1 setup as rear stereo pairs and wire them accordingly.

All speakers should either be the same of come form the same family, ie., they should use similar drivers so that the sound coming form any speaker is tamber matched. It is a matter of speaker preference whether you use powered or non powered speakers. The best sounding systems I have heard have the same 7 speakers installed in them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm.........thanks for the replies.

The receiver I have is a Denon AVR 2802, which offers a 6.1 setup. However, if you use the pre-amp inputs it will do a true 7.1. I see now my only option with this receiver is to get powered speakers and use the pre-amp inputs.

What companies make good powered speakers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.