AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten a new plasma TV and have to modify the section where the TV sits in my built-in entertainment center. My problem is where to put the center channel speaker. My surround sound system's (5.1) 2 main speakers are each 5' off the floor and each will be 43" horizontal inches (L and R) from the center speaker. These dimensions can not be changed. However, it is the positioning of the center speaker that will be in question.

I can either put the center speaker (7.5"H X 23"W) over or just under the middle of the TV. From a construction point of view, placing the speaker under the TV will be much easier to do and less expensive than having the speaker above the TV. If the speaker is above the TV, the bottom of the speaker will be about 56" off the ground; if placed under the TV, the speaker's bottom will be 21" off the ground. And, BTW, I sit about 12" from the center of it all.

Presently the speaker is in the above TV (old TV, that is) position and I was wondering how placing it below the new TV (21" off the ground) how that might effect the overall sound experience? I like surround sound and intuit that having the speaker above the TV and nearly inline with the two main speakers is probably best, but if placing lower down won't make a very big difference, then that is the way I'd like to go. Comments, please...and thank you.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
a personal opinion, but I would try the CC speaker under the TV. I think the chance of you really noticeing the change in speaker height will be less than if it is mounted over the TV. You could certainly experiment with someone holding the CC speaker in each position as you test the results from the primary listening position.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/16948742

I have just gotten a new plasma TV and have to modify the section where the TV sits in my built-in entertainment center. My problem is where to put the center channel speaker.

If the main speaker tweeters and midrange drivers are above the center f the screen, I'd put the center channel above the screen. If they are below the center of the screen, I'd put the center channel below the screen.

In other words, I'd place the center channel as close as possible to the height of the apparent source of sounds from the main speakers.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I understand where Peter White is going when advising your placement in regard to the Left and Right mains. In that regard, it may be a bigger problem for your front soundstage that the tweeters of your L & R mains are higher than 5' off the ground; they're the ones more critically at ear level from your main listening position.

All that being said, the center speaker under the TV screen will definitely link the dialogue to the screen action very well/don't think it's worth the hassle to bring it on top in regard to video entertainment. Multichannel music appreciation may be a different story. I also agree that auditioning it in both positions before permanent installation will settle things in your own mind, as well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago /forum/post/16949954

I understand where Peter White is going when advising your placement in regard to the Left and Right mains. In that regard, it may be a bigger problem for your front soundstage that the tweeters of your L & R mains are higher than 5' off the ground; they're the ones more critically at ear level from your main listening position.

All that being said, the center speaker under the TV screen will definitely link the dialogue to the screen action very well/don't think it's worth the hassle to bring it on top in regard to video entertainment. Multichannel music appreciation may be a different story. I also agree that auditioning it in both positions before permanent installation will settle things in your own mind, as well.

You're saying what I want to hear. As I can't move my main speakers, and it is a far esier and less expensive job to place the center speaker just below the TV screen, I'll give the below position a try before the final redesign of the entertainment center's TV area.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Even though your mains cannot be moved, you can still improve things a bit by toeing in the L and R speakers as well as angling them down (say using an Auralex MoPAD or a DIY assembly that's similar--for the center speaker as well) to get all the tweeters firing in the direction of your listening position.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When placing CC under display. Remember to angle the CC upward slightly[hopefully you can do this] a pen laserlight works well, to place the "center" of the speaker aimed right at your ears. Just put[make] door stoppers under the front CC edge.

You can use the laser to accurately -toe in- your L/R also they are aimed at you ears in your PLP.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't angle the mains, but I can angle the center speaker a bit upwards. Still haven't tried the lower position, yet, as I'm in the process of rewiring tha AVR equipment (dropped some gear and added some gear), and of course it is a bear of a job as one has to snake in and around cramped corners and reach behind stuff trying to pull and put in wiring in the right place-blindly of course...I'm sure you all know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
As DAB said. Almost all of us have to place the center in a weird spot that is not ideal. Aim the center at your ear level and all will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts