AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Not sure this is the right place but I couldn't think of a better forum to get the answers, so here goes

Is all rack mounted gear only supported by the faceplate ?

What about gear that doesn't have rack mounting tabs on the front ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You can get shelves for non tabbed gear, depending on the rack

From what I have seen most home theater gear will need a shelf

Computer / Network gear could have tabs that would support the unit.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is more or less what I understood it to be. It is just kind of hard to believe a amp as heavy as a bryston can support itself from just the faceplate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are items that are specifically "rack mountable" meaning they are designed to be mounted flush with the front of a rack without the use of a shelf. They are designed to support their own weight.

In the case that there is something that you want to put in a rack that is not designed to be "rack mounted" then you will need a shelf. You can then use a face plate in combination with the shelf to make a cleaner look. Check out the Middle Atlantic website for a better understanding. You do not need a faceplate when you use a shelf but it will look better with it.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy  /t/1522367/a-question-about-rack-mounted-gear#post_24477097

Thanks, that is more or less what I understood it to be. It is just kind of hard to believe a amp as heavy as a bryston can support itself from just the faceplate.

Well Brystons sure can. I think the face plate is 3/8 inch! But yes, heavy items need additional support. Many professional devices use sliding rails that attached to the rack rails. If not using slides, I always but a lacing bar on rear rails set in so the the chassis is supported.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts