AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just registered at this forum to ask a question that I've had issues trying to answer to my satisfaction.

The whole story started about a week ago when I was looking at the local 'for sale' ads for TVs, as my first apartment currently lacks one (long story) and noticed there were about a half dozen or so of these 'large' screen TV's on sale fairly cheap. Now until this point I had never heard of rear projection, much less front projection and only paid a passing interest to the other display technologies out there right now so I really didn't know anything past "turn TV on, see picture". However I was curious given the listed screen sizes as to why they were selling for fairly cheap compared to what I was used to seeing in the stores or with casual internet window shopping, and I started looking up exactly what this 'rear projection' was and why I had never personally heard about them.

That lead me to realize there was more to a TV then pushing a button, which then caused me to look at the current display technology on the market as a whole and more importantly how they compared to each other. For obvious reasons this has been both informative as I didn't realize there was so much I didn't know about a 'mundane household appliance' yet at the same time confusing as so far the only answers I've been able to clean are from either outdated information or comparisons that to me are as clear as mud. If some of these have been answered already my apologies, but I must have missed them in the forum search I did first. The somewhat overly rambling post your reading right now aside, I actually have two questions for you all which I hope is in the right forum.*

1. As of 2011, how do RPTV's and the other current display technologies such as plasma or LCD compare to each other and which are stronger in what roles?

2. Related to the above, the reason I'm asking is I'm hoping to in the near future start setting up a modest living room 'theater' system in the apartments frontroom; hence why I'm wondering what you all would suggest as the best option for my given situation? Be it RP, Plasma etc. Primary use would be in descending order: movies, gaming, extra PC monitor. I also don't mind tinkering a bit if it helps at all, in fact I find that sort of thing interesting.

Now I know it won't be ideal, or anywhere close to it but I do wish to try getting something of quality I can given the constraints I'm working with both in terms of space and money. I do have a rough, not to scale depiction of the layout drawn up in MS paint. For clarification any capital L's denote a light fixture either, in this case either the floor lamp in the corner by the chair or the ceiling mounted one at the head of the stairway going down. Due note we also currently live in a second story apartment, so anything has to be physically carried up a flight of stairs then past a 90 degree turn.

Proposed Layout

As you can see its a fairly small and oddly shaped layout, doubly so due to the open topped stairwell. Also yes as much as I wish otherwise, the couch we have will not fit into the nook the exterior windows** are in as its about 10" too wide. Finally while the corner chair is a bit off center for viewing the TV its also intended more for reading then viewing whatever screen we eventually end up with. Thanks in advance for any words of advice or caution you wish to share, it is appreciated.

*Since I didn't see a general visual display questions subforum I had to take a best guess as it primarily has to do with rear projection. Unless I missed it which has happened before.

**We do plan on on getting heavy curtains for them.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq /forum/post/20843803

based on the thread title, I inject this comment: bigger is always better.

+1

Doubly so with 3D.

Remember, the most important features to look for in any TV in order, are size (buy the biggest you can afford), contrast (not dynamic contrast), black level, color accuracy, and then resolution.

One should shop with that in mind.

Once you establish size, move on to comparing the rest of the features, weighing them in that order of importance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a small update, I've done a bit more research and have started to focus onto two possible model if I buy new*. Specifically either the WD-60638 or the WD-60738 both by Mitsubishi. There isn't a very large price difference between the two where I've looked**, and I really don't have any utility to go with a screen larger then 60" at this point and time much less room or budget even split three ways. I really don't care about 3D so that's not a factor, mainly as so far what 3DTV displays I've seen in person have been (to me anyway) less then impressive. The fact they started making me feel 'off' after a short bit likely didn't help at all, though to be fair that could have just been due to a badly set up demo display. I do care about image quality and reliability however. That in mind what do you all think?

*I was considering buying off one of the local online used gear places, but the more I look the less I like the added risk for in some cases very little savings. Especially given some of the deals out there on new displays which at least gives me a warranty and someone to call if things break.

**Obviously I can't mention the prices I found them at much less where due to forum rules, even though I'd love to ask how they stacked up if at all. If it'd be possible at all, even via PM I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar60 /forum/post/20846785

Just a small update, I've done a bit more research and have started to focus onto two possible model if I buy new*. Specifically either the WD-60638 or the WD-60738 both by Mitsubishi. There isn't a very large price difference between the two where I've looked**, and I really don't have any utility to go with a screen larger then 60" at this point and time much less room or budget even split three ways. I really don't care about 3D so that's not a factor, mainly as so far what 3DTV displays I've seen in person have been (to me anyway) less then impressive. The fact they started making me feel 'off' after a short bit likely didn't help at all, though to be fair that could have just been due to a badly set up demo display. I do care about image quality and reliability however. That in mind what do you all think?

*I was considering buying off one of the local online used gear places, but the more I look the less I like the added risk for in some cases very little savings. Especially given some of the deals out there on new displays which at least gives me a warranty and someone to call if things break.

**Obviously I can't mention the prices I found them at much less where due to forum rules, even though I'd love to ask how they stacked up if at all. If it'd be possible at all, even via PM I would appreciate it.

Of the two, I'd recommend the 738 series, especially if they are close in price. Even though you don't think you want 3D, it'll be the easiest to equip if you change your mind later (the 638 will require a $99 upgrade for 3D).

I'd also strongly consider an online transaction, as many e-tailers, including amazon.com are authorized retailers (read-warranty) and very competitive in price and service. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/OnlineRetailers.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two questions then, neither of which I've been able to answer quite yet via forum search.

1. Are there any known issues with the 60738 that as a potential buyer I should know about? Any tips or pieces of advice? I admit I am a bit concerned with spending a large amount of money that mat just break fairly soon, especially when compared to my income level. Yes it may be a bit overly paranoid as I'd feel the same even if I decided to go plasma or LCD instead.

2. Has production of the 60738 been discontinued already? Mainly I ask as if not then I might be better off for financial reasons another month or two as the holiday season sets in, but if they aren't being made anymore I'd risk missing out by waiting too long. Given it seems a number of places no longer carry them I'm thinking they have been discontinued already. :|

·
Registered
675 Posts
Most common mistake on all TVs is using the out of the box picture mode and settings. These are designed for the sales floor. On Mitsubish the Bright or Natural picture modes normally look more realistic at home.

The other most common mistake for rear porjection is placing on a stand that is too tall. For 60" look for something in the range of 17" - 20". You want the center of the screen about the same level as your eyes when you are sitting in your normal postion (in reality this applies to all TVs).

Both of those models are discontinued as they are 2010 models and a model year is only about one year. Mitsubishi also discontinued anything smaller than 73". Their strength is in really big TVs and 60" is not really big (anymore).

DLP Rear projection can provide an exellent picture - not just good and is less expensive per square inch when you get to thoses sizes which gives very good value.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP /forum/post/20853867

Both of those models are discontinued as they are 2010 models and a model year is only about one year. Mitsubishi also discontinued anything smaller than 73". Their strength is in really big TVs and 60" is not really big (anymore).

Thats what I thought, so it means I'll have to run it by the miss and our roommate soon before they entirely sell out.

Quote:
DLP Rear projection can provide an exellent picture - not just good and is less expensive per square inch when you get to thoses sizes which gives very good value.

Aye, which is part of the attraction. I'll have to make a trip to the local best buy to see first hand how the various techs stack, even with unoptimized settings for the showroom. I admit, I have heard (and read) that DLP RPTV's can be more touchy in terms of reliability and it does give the miss some pause. How much should she be worried about it even with a warranty?

·
Registered
6,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar60 /forum/post/20855126

Thats what I thought, so it means I'll have to run it by the miss and our roommate soon before they entirely sell out.

Aye, which is part of the attraction. I'll have to make a trip to the local best buy to see first hand how the various techs stack, even with unoptimized settings for the showroom. I admit, I have heard (and read) that DLP RPTV's can be more touchy in terms of reliability and it does give the miss some pause. How much should she be worried about it even with a warranty?

I personally had a light engine replaced under warranty on my 2007 57" Mitsubishi DLP. That year, there were a lot of light engines being replaced because of a greasy residue forming on a lens in the optics, but at the time, the cause wasn't known. When the same problem cropped up again a full year out of warranty, Mitsubishi replaced the TV and arranged for the 57" to be hauled away. It is difficult to navigate through the Mitsubishi service process, but is was worth it in the long run.

Important information: The TV was over one year out of warranty, and it was replaced with a larger sized (65") newer model, that was the top of the line (Diamond) for the newest model year. In researching the problem, I ran across a lot of posts here at AVSForum about Mits replacing TVs out of warranty, sometimes years down the road. They only advertise a one year warranty, but they stood by their product for me and several others I know about. I even know of one post where a scammer bought a TV used, and got Mits to help pay to fix it.

2007 was a bad model year for Mits TVs, and I haven't seen anything near as prevalent since, though all TV brands have their problems. Mits stands behind their product and I would not hesitate to buy another DLP from them in the future. (The WD-65835 that I have now has no problems, and the forums seem to me to be very quiet on this model, so I am very pleased with my model and have confidence in the brand.)

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle
-snip-

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
That is very comforting to hear, actually and I appreciate both the sentiment ad all the help. Currently its a tossup between the Mits or a Panasonic ST30 Plasma in either 42" or 50" flavors. Mainly due to the former coming out cheaper then the Mitts and the latter being in the same general ballpark price is. We'll see what the misses and our mutual roommate (we'll be splitting the cost roughly equally) decide when I run this all by them in a day or two. Ill let you guys knows which we end up with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.