AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The X1 seems to be an intriguing little projector, however, I do have one major concern-the lack of connectors.

Ideally, I would like to hook up a computer (for gaming and DVDs) and a HDTV STB to the projector. Unfortunately, the VGA port that is normally used for the computer is also used for component input from other sources (via a component to VESA adapter). It would seem on the surface that you couldn't have both connected at the same time. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a VGA switch to connect both the PC and STB to an X1 at the same time.

Has anyone tried this before? If so, have you observed any degradation in the signal quality using a VGA switch?

Any info or feedback would be appreciated...

Fat E

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Component goes through the Svideo connection (Their connection has a special one with more video lines in it and a custom propriatary cable that is included with the projector) That way, you can have both Component and RGB at the same time....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Be careful. The special s-video adaptor that ship's with the X1 only accepts component interlaced 480i. You have to go in thru the VGA port to use a progressive 480p signal.

I would think a 5-wire RGBHV switcher from Extron or similar would do the trick for your switching issue.

Randy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
Component goes through the Svideo connection (Their connection has a special one with more video lines in it and a custom propriatary cable that is included with the projector) That way, you can have both Component and RGB at the same time....
According to the owners manual:

http://www.infocus.com/service/x1/us...ug-english.pdf

On page 12 it says that you can input progressive sources (like HDTV, and I'm assuming cable boxes that support HDTV) via a separate, optional component to VESA adapter which would then plug into the VGA port rather than the modified s-video.

Since it is a regular VGA port, I'm assuming a switch would allow you to connect two input sources (computer via regular vga cable and an HDTV cable box via the componant to VESA adapter) to the projector allowing you to bypass the s-video altogether so that you only have progressive scan inputs.

Does this sound like it should work?

I was surprised at how inexpensive VGA switches were when I looked for them on the net. The component to VESA adapter from Infocus is only $20. It sounds like a fairly cheap workaround to me; am I mistaken about anything?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have an HDTV cable box, a computer, a dvd player an d an Xbox all plugged into a Belkin KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch I had previously been using for computers. It works great other than needing a seperate switch to handle the audio. I mainly went this route because I already had the two switches, otherwise I probably would've just gotten one of those Audio Authority component switches for $200 that also had the digital audio connections. I'm just not sure if you can connect a pc through those with a vga-component cable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Take into consideration whether you'll be running native, 4:3 or 16:9 mode. That may make some difference in your display size and required projection distance.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
317 Posts
rgs,

Which of the four questions in this thread are you bumping? I'm confused because I didn't see your name on any of them.

Hope you get the answer you're looking for,

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.