AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of Blu-ray suporters say they don't like IME, IHD. The thing that I don't unstand is that these are features that are turned on/off at the users will, they don't prohibit movie watching. You watch these things the second or third ime you watch the movie to get more insight into the film. If its not forced on you while you enjoy your movie why is it disliked?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't think this thread will last too long. But if you've noticed, if Blu-ray can't produce a certain item, then BD-only cheerleaders tend to not think it's important. An amazing coincidence. Upscaling of dvds wasn't too important until the PS3 got it.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema /forum/post/0

I don't think this thread will last too long. But if you've noticed, if Blu-ray can't produce a certain item, then BD-only cheerleaders tend to not think it's important. An amazing coincidence. Upscaling of dvds wasn't too important until the PS3 got it.

And when HD-DVD'rs have to do the most insane things to get their discs to play (boiling) then those cheerleaders tend to think that is not important either.

In all the DVD's I have owned, I can count the number of times I have looked at special features on one hand and I already had an oppo for upconversion.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
But why do studios go to the trouble of creating all of these special features if no one cares about them? Also, the latest Toshiba firmwares have fixed those playback issues. Universal is also offering a replacement program, similar to the one Fox did with Speed when it was giving BD owners playback problems.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb /forum/post/0

I know alot of Blu-ray suporters say they don't like IME, IHD. The thing that I don't unstand is that these are features that are turned on/off at the users will, they don't prohibit movie watching. You watch these things the second or third ime you watch the movie to get more insight into the film. If its not forced on you while you enjoy your movie why is it disliked?

I don't really understand really disliking them (unless they take away from something else), but I have a related question for you. Should IME (PiP) be limited to standard definition, or do you think that people who are watching the PiP should be able to swap the behind the scenes stuff to be the big picture (the movie now the small picture) and in high definition (not SD)? If you don't care and HD for the PiP isn't forced on you, would you begrudge those who want to be able to swap the PiP and have HD for the big picture?

--Darin

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:

Im not saying anyone cant like them or that no one does. Im just saying I dont. I dont have enough time in my day to waste watching someone talk about a movie while the movie is playing. In fact I dont have time or the interest to watch any special features. I will gladly take the barebones Movie only release, especially if it saved me a few bucks. In total i have over 900 BD, SD, and HDs and many of those are 2 disc special editions. Ive taken maybe 4 out of the case (a couple of Star Wars and LOTR) beyond that, none of them have moved since they were put in at the factory.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts

Quote:

it is not disliked. There are two things

1) I don't use it. What is annoying is the constant BS from HD DVD supporters with players are obsolete if they don't support it.

2) in many examples (look at Kong for example) the studios could have used the space and BW of the IME and given lossless audio. The only times I dislike the idea is if it ends up killing a more important feature.

The reality is that I watch movies to relax and with friends and family. So if I saw a movie before and decide to watch it again because someone else has not seen it yet having someone blocking the pick and talking during the movie is not what I want.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /forum/post/0

The reality is that I watch movies to relax and with friends and family. So if I saw a movie before and decide to watch it again because someone else has not seen it yet having someone blocking the pick and talking during the movie is not what I want.

That pretty much sums up my opinion. I never used to watch extras back when I used to purchase dvds. IME is even a more worthless feature IMO. With POTC, I tried the "scoundrels of the sea" thing for about 2 minutes before I turned that **** off.

I could care less if it's there or not. If other people enjoy it, and the studios want to provide it, it's fine with me. If I watched the movie repeatedly, I might change my mind and enable it just to reduce the sheer boredom from seeing the same movie over and over and over again.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnickus /forum/post/0

And when HD-DVD'rs have to do the most insane things to get their discs to play (boiling) then those cheerleaders tend to think that is not important either.

Quoted for truth. HD-DVD has been luring me lately to grab a player with all the deals and discounts going on right now, but I cannot bring myself to do it simply because any time I go into the HD-DVD forum I see post after post of people having problems with playing their discs. That's just one headache I don't need.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont dislike the features, it's just that I couldn't care less about them. This isn't a Blu-ray question, this is a matter of if you like special features or not. I Will most likely be buying an Hd-dvd player as well, now that these extras will be available I still wont be utilizing them.

·
Premium Member
26,449 Posts

Quote:

Why the bashing before the thread even gets started? What are you trying to contribute by your post?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

Quote:

But why do studios go to the trouble of creating all of these special features if no one cares about them? Also, the latest Toshiba firmwares have fixed those playback issues. Universal is also offering a replacement program, similar to the one Fox did with Speed when it was giving BD owners playback problems.

Answer: MARKETING; SALES AND THE BOTTOM LINE.

The majority of people by far care less about extras and don't watch them, but the studios care because to them it is about marketing a product and increasing sales. Do you really think they care if you or I care about the details of how a movie is made or do they care about the ability to SELL you those details about how movies are made.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think the original poster is mistaking "I don't care for" as "I don't like"

I personally could care less about IME, PIP etc...whatever you want to call it.

I have played with it a little on my A1 and It just isn't that compelling. I consider myself a movie lover, but beyond that...well there is no "beyond that" watching making of's and listening to director commentary is just Boring to me.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts

Quote:

Never watched the extra's on my DVD's. For those movies with the extras on a second disc, the extras disc gets stored in the attic.

I much prefer a player that can output 1920 x 1080/23.98/P native. Many/most extras are recorded at 59.94/I which will present a problem if one wishes to do PiP. Currently, HD DVD does 3:2 pull down for the film to make it 59.94/I so they can do PiP.

Extras cost, well extra. If you want them, then you should be willing to pay for them. I do not care for them and therefore should not have to pay for them.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:

This thread is still open after the OP?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:

I ended up buying an HD DVD player in addition to BD. Children of Men is awesome. And I have to admit, looking at all of the newspaper clippings was pretty cool.

EDIT: Plus not waiting for The Matrix and BB is a plus.

But warner's semi-neutrality is garbage.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
while we don't mind not having the IMEs or whatever, our problem isnt whether we can turn them off, it's the fact that our movies are being held back b/c of these issues we can care less about.

we'd rather have our batman begins and matrix now than wait til later to get them with the extra features.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

I consider myself a movie lover, but beyond that...well there is no "beyond that" watching making of's and listening to director commentary is just Boring to me.

I consider myself a lover of painting.

But if Pablo Picasso were to appear besides me and talk about his experience with creating the Guernica he'd bore me to death and I'd ask him to leave.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.