AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm putting faced insulation in my soffits, leaving the bottom open, and covering with fabric, to allow the soffit to act as a bass trap - as I've seen others do. I noticed this warning on the insulation - is covering with fire retardant fabric enough to mitigate this risk (and keep it from being a code violation)?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any ideas?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/19540836

Why would you use faced insulation in this application? Why not use unfaced insulation or have the fiberglass exposed to the fabric?

Well the idea was to reflect the highs, while trapping bass, so as to not overly deaden the room (in combination with other treatments to come). Besides, Sandman did it with Bryan Pape's blessing, so it can't be wrong (different insulation material in that case though - cotton).

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Would have to be a mighty high frequency to be deflected by paper, it would seem. But I'm not an in-room acoustics guy.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie /forum/post/19541304

Brad, what I did was to stuff the soffits with pink insulation, then fit a layer of rigid 2" oc703 to the bottom to support the pink stuff. The oc703 was finished with FSK (aluminum foil style covering).

Thanks Moggie, the thought of adding a layer of 703 at the bottom was one option I'm mulling over, good to hear someone who's actually done it that way (and I assume successfully so far) - I hadn't thought of the FSK, I guess that would be better in terms of fire than the kraft paper.

Another option would be to just remove the kraft paper and cover with fabric - or maybe add FSK. I guess I should probably schedule an inspection and have a discussion with the building inspector - he doesn't seem the type to offer solutions though, more just tells me what I can't do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts