Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To clarify my rather vague subject header:

Has anyone mounted an in-wall speaker (with shielding) inside of an RPTV cabinet. The purpose would be to recreate the center channel. For instance, my Hitachi 60" 4:3 has plenty of space for a number of in-wall speakers- especially the ones that are enclosed like the MTX 620WE.

Even if it weren't "enclosed" I would think that one could fashion an MDF box of sorts with the rough dimensions needed to recreate an in-wall installation.

This idea has intrigued me for a while, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.

If you're lurking Paul, I'd love your comments on this.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Even if it weren't "enclosed" I would think that one could fashion an MDF box of sorts with the rough dimensions needed to recreate an in-wall installation.
"Fashion an MDF box of sorts with the rough dimensions needed..." Oh, if only we could be as casual and arbitrary as that, and still get good results.

You are much, much better off inserting an enclosed, freestanding center channel speaker into the cavity, and using equalization to pull down the boundary effect boost of around 2 dB between 100 Hz and 300 Hz. Trying to jury-rig an enclosure on an open-back inwall speaker makes no sense.

Of course, there are some companies that make enclosed inwall speakers that would also work...and I don't mean just Triad...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh,

So obviously it can be done. Now, the question remains- is it worthwhile? Are there any issues, other than the boundary issue? Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this with any of Triad's speakers? All things being equal, is it worth giving a try?

IMO, it just makes sense to me to do this because you’re more closely aligning the acoustic centers of the each front channel speaker. As well, you walk away with a nice clean installation. As long as it doesn’t destroy tonality or kill the off-axis response, then why not do it (not forgetting shielding issues of course)?

Does Triad work exclusively through distributors; or do you have any actual dealers with showrooms set up?

BTW, thanks for the input Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.