AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is only directed at those who have switched from TiVo to UTV. I am curious as to what the most important reason for your switch was. I really only want one reason, not many. I'd also like to know if you had a standalone TiVo or a DirecTiVo before you switched.

I don't currently subscribe to DirecTv but I have played with a friend's standalone TiVo quite a bit, so I'd like to know what it was that made people switch from one to the other.

Thanks in advance.

/carmi

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own a stand alone Tivo. I got a UTV because:

1. I only subscribe to DTV, even my local channels come through the sat.

2. I was getting upset by Tivo slowness. Try to configure favorite channels on your friends Tivo so you can see what I mean.

3. Dual tunner - PIP, record 2 shows at same time, etc.

4. Future broadband access on UTV.

There are more features I like, but you wanted a short list.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by txcas:
I own a stand alone Tivo. I got a UTV because:

1. I only subscribe to DTV, even my local channels come through the sat.
This explains why you switched from a standalone box to an integrated box. That is the easy part. :))

Quote:

2. I was getting upset by Tivo slowness. Try to configure favorite channels on your friends Tivo so you can see what I mean.

3. Dual tuner - PIP, record 2 shows at same time, etc.

4. Future broadband access on UTV.

There are more features I like, but you wanted a short list.
Which of those remaining reasons was most important to you? You list Dual tuner and PiP as one feature, where they are really two features. How long have you owned your UTV? Have you used the PiP feature often?

What is your current net connection? What is your interest in broadband access on UTV (i.e. for what do you expect to use it)?

Thanks for you input.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by IHaveBoth:
As my user name implies, I have both a stand alone Tivo, and a UltimateTV.

Let me say that both are great.

Why UTV - simple - Survivor and Friends - its that simple. Recording two things at once is really the key. Not only can you record two things at once, but one other thing TIVO cannot do is record one channel, and watch another channel (without some dumb switch - and then you loose tivo features like pause).

Not to knock Tivo though, because the other nite, somehow, UTV didnt record "The West Wing" (it was after the time change), but TIVO sure didnt miss it. I really trust TIVO more to get my shows, but like the UTV features better. If only they could give UTV some of TIVOs smarts.

So for you, once the second tuner on the DirecTiVo is active, you'd rather have that?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I did not replace my tivo with a UTV but added it to my SA tivos and d'tivos. Of course I wanted the two tuner now and hate to wait. Since most of my recording are off directv and having two tuners it is easier to setup without having conflicts as you do with one tuner.

I like the PIP feature although I probley don't use it to watch two show at same time. But like it when in guide to see what on the channel as you surf the guide. Also athought this this may be a one time use. Since I have a bad memory when setting up the channel I receive on d'tivo I first had to go thru all the channels to make a list of what one I do get then I could select the ones I do receive, with UTV having the PIP show you as you select the channel if you get it or not. Also good for watching some thing or listen to music while on WEBTV.

I like the WEBTV for I like reading these PTV forum on my large tv in the comfort of my easy chair. Not sitting in front of a desk on my computer. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Paulus

a TV nut that's hard to crack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
****Which of those remaining reasons was most important to you? You list Dual tuner and PiP as one feature, where they are really two features. How long have you owned your UTV? Have you used the PiP feature often?

What is your current net connection? What is your interest in broadband access on UTV (i.e. for what do you expect to use it)?*****

<><><><>

I listed PIP, recording 2 shows at the same time, etc. as one feature and you are right it they are more than one feature but all of them are the result of having dual tuners. Recording 2 shows at the same time is the killer feaure for me. I do use PIP quite frequently when watching baseball and hockey at the same time. Currently I have a cable modem at home. Using WebTV over a phone line is painfully slow and ties up the only phone line I have. Having broadband Internet access available all the time from the couch will be really convenient. Also with a always on connection to the Internet, in the future might be able to configure your UTV to record shows using your browser from a remote location.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by txcas:
I listed PIP, recording 2 shows at the same time, etc. as one feature and you are right it they are more than one feature but all of them are the result of having dual tuners. Recording 2 shows at the same time is the killer feature for me. I do use PIP quite frequently when watching baseball and hockey at the same time. Currently I have a cable modem at home. Using WebTV over a phone line is painfully slow and ties up the only phone line I have. Having broadband Internet access available all the time from the couch will be really convenient. Also with a always on connection to the Internet, in the future might be able to configure your UTV to record shows using your browser from a remote location.

I understand that two tuners is necessary for both features, but as I understand it, TiVo will have their second tuner active, but won't have PiP. That was why I separated them.

You said that the ability to record two shows at once was the killer feature. If that feature had been available on the DirecTiVo when you purchased your UTV, would you have bought a DirecTiVo instead, or were the (as I understand it possible) future availability of broadband and PiP compelling enough to make you switch any way?

Lastly, how long have you owned your UTV?

Thanks again for your input.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TWPaulus:
I did not replace my tivo with a UTV but added it to my SA tivos and d'tivos. Of course I wanted the two tuner now and hate to wait. Since most of my recording are off directv and having two tuners it is easier to setup without having conflicts as you do with one tuner.
So had the second tuner been active on your DirecTiVo's would you still have purchased the UTV?

I like the PIP feature although I probley don't use it to watch two show at same time. But like it when in guide to see what on the channel as you surf the guide. Also athought this this may be a one time use. Since I have a bad memory when setting up the channel I receive on d'tivo I first had to go thru all the channels to make a list of what one I do get then I could select the ones I do receive, with UTV having the PIP show you as you select the channel if you get it or not. Also good for watching some thing or listen to music while on WEBTV.
Would this have been a compelling enough difference to have you buy a UTV if the second tuner had been active?

Quote:
I like the WEBTV for I like reading these PTV forum on my large tv in the comfort of my easy chair. Not sitting in front of a desk on my computer. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Would this have been a compelling enough difference to have you buy a UTV if the second tuner had been active? What speed is your net connection? Do you also have a computer?

Thanks for your input.

/carmi

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is the policy of AVS forum that product wars are not acceptable, this tread has the earmarks of going that way..

------------------

Gremlin...

UTV --- "The Ultimate DVR"

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
It is the policy of AVS forum that product wars are not acceptable, this tread has the earmarks of going that way..

This isn't a product war. As the originator of the thread, I am trying to understand how people use these boxes and why they switched from one to the other. I have no opinion one way or the other. All I am doing when someone responds is to clarify what they are saying so that I really understand the issues involved. I don't think that any of the questions or answers have been hostile or anything other than informative. None of the posts have attacked either company's product or the people that own them.

This is what civil discourse is all about.

/carmi

·
Registered
675 Posts
carmi

Since I have three d'tivo is like having three tuner activated now for me except i have to handle the conflict between them my self. So in my opinion having a d'tivo with both tuner activated now had no point im getting the UTV. I basicly wanted to see how realiable it was, how it handle the two tuners, the PIP and webtv. Yes I have a computer at 56K modem. But then I am not an average cusumer.

In my opinion the average cusomer is going to see the UTV as dual DVR with PIP and webtv internet access. All in one unit and costing only $399. I think the average cusomer is going to see the tivo even with two tuner as a fancy ptv with very fancy solftware. Unless he understand the advanages of this fancy software in my opinion he is going to go with the UTV. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Paulus

a TV nut that's hard to crack.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Perhaps it is just me in my "I shouldn't have to think about it" attitude combined with my "record everything" attitude, but the way I envision dual tuners integrating into a PVR would be this. When something records, it is assigned a tuner. If there is only 1 recording, the other would be used for live TV. As you channel surf, it would just use one tuner if there is a recording, silently switching to the other tuner if you switch to the channel being recorded. If nothing is recording, channel surfing would alternate tuners, to speed up switch back to previous tuner.. Possibly also to keep two live buffers. If 2 things are recording, changing the channel would warn you something was recording, and give you the option of cancelling a recording, or cancelling the channel change. Either way, something like a last channel button would switch between the tuners. When surfing w/ nothing recording, this would be last channel. When surfing with a recording, it would switch between surfing and recording. When 2 things are recording, it would switch between recordings.

This seems to me like it would be a well integrated way to work with dual tuners. Sure, there are a certain class of power users who wouldn't be happy with this.. For example people who wanted to watch one channel live and surf during commercials.. (I don't see anything wrong with doing a recording of whatever I'm watching, but some people don't like to do that) But to the average consumer, this thing is already complex enough. No reason to take a nice feature like recording 2 things, and add complexity to the interface because of it. (not that I'm saying UTV adds complexity because of it)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger:
Perhaps it is just me in my "(not that I'm saying UTV adds complexity because of it)
It's you ... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The UTV tuners work so smooth together, well it's slicker the snail.. anyway thats the beauty of it you don't have to worry about it.. just flat out does it .... and FAST!!!

------------------

Gremlin...

UTV --- "The Ultimate DVR"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now that TiVo has started to roll out the support for their second tuner, and people have had their systems for longer, I am curious if anyone that has switched would reconsider their decision? Any one here have both a DirecTiVo and an Ultimate TV? Do you have the software from TiVo to run both tuners?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TWPaulus:
In my opinion the average cusomer is going to see the UTV as dual DVR with PIP and webtv internet access. All in one unit and costing only $399. I think the average cusomer is going to see the tivo even with two tuner as a fancy ptv with very fancy solftware. Unless he understand the advanages of this fancy software in my opinion he is going to go with the UTV. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
So you think people will spend $399 for a UTV, when they can get a Tivo with all of the "advantages of the fancy software" for $99-$200? Why would people do that?

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
It's you ... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The UTV tuners work so smooth together, well it's slicker the snail.. anyway thats the beauty of it you don't have to worry about it.. just flat out does it .... and FAST!!!
It does what FAST? Many people here with UTV's have never mentioned the speed of UTV as a feature! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
as an fyi to the previous posted, UTV is now $299 list, some places have it for cheaper...

I had a stand alone Tivo and purchased the UTV completely due to the dual tuner functionality. Having had a Tivo for over a year, the UTV interface was definitely different and lacking season pass and wishlist features was a big negative. However, as another posted said, recording something while watching something else was critical to our family. Not only the Friends/Survivor issue, but also the HBO/kid show issues. I have 8 and 5 year old daughters that I don't want seeing Sopranos or Oz or Sex and the City but they want to watch the TV. UTV was the right choice over DirecTivo and I have been enjoying dual tuners and PIP for 6 months now. Also, the more we have had UTV, the more we realize that Season Pass and Wishlist were really not *vital* features of a PVR, just nice ones to have. I haven't missed much with UTV, and I would have missed a lot had I had a Tivo without two tuners.

However, and I've stated this on the Tivo forum as well, with dual tuners now activated in DirecTivo, if I were buying today again, I'd have to lean towards the DirecTivo because of (a) the price difference - its cheaper and (b) the Season Pass/Wishlist features, which now put it over UTV's other features like PIP and Web access.

As with most things, both companies are planning upgrades, so I expect that UTV will probably come out with something that leapfrogs Tivo, or perhaps Tivo will continue their leadership by coming out with new features. Who knows. With the events of the last couple of weeks, UTV versus Tivo has become so trivial I think most, like me, couldn't care less about whether someone likes/buys one over the other...

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did the price get raised back up on UTV? Last I checked it was $299.

------------------

There is no time in space. That is to say no time which can be chronologically measured.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Questioner:
Now that TiVo has started to roll out the support for their second tuner, and people have had their systems for longer, I am curious if anyone that has switched would reconsider their decision? Any one here have both a DirecTiVo and an Ultimate TV? Do you have the software from TiVo to run both tuners?

I have the 2.5 software on both of my DirecTiVo's and I also have one UTV. I got the UTV mainly because of the PIP feature, and it works well for what I need it to do but for me, I prefer the DirecTiVo's. In my opinion, the interface is better and the features are better - it just feels more comfortable to me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Life's great when you're great

Two Phillips DSR6000 DirecTiVo receivers

One RCA Ultimate TV receiver

·
Registered
93 Posts
I switched from DTivo to UTV because the DTivo online "advanced" program guide was horribly slow. You think UTV's guide is slow? Try DTivo. You can watch the screens paint when you scroll up and down.

I'm a guide surfer, and am quite happy with UTV's guide--it might be slow to load at first, but is okay moving around in it.

Other than this issue, the DTivo was a cool, good-looking unit, with a good interface. Web access is a big deal (when it's sped up), ad I can't imagine not having dual tuners (that was a long way off when I got the Sony DTivo).

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

Hitachi 53SWX01W 16x9 HDTV

HTPC (in progress)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.