Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoots:
I switched from DTivo to UTV because the DTivo online "advanced" program guide was horribly slow. You think UTV's guide is slow? Try DTivo. You can watch the screens paint when you scroll up and down.
I believe the 2.0.1 update sped this up considerably. It sounds like you switched before the update was released, possibly. That's why I had assumed UTV's slowness would have been sped up with it's first update.

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am switching the other way. Selling my UTV on eBay and buying a direcTivo (incidentally for much less than I'm getting for my UTV). The only thing I will miss is the PIP feature in the guide, but that seems like a small price to pay for the richness of all of Tivo's recording features. Now with dual tuners on Tivo it seems pretty clear cut to me. I guess if you had no computer and want to use your UTV for email that might be something too, but otherwise I just don't see paying that much more for PIP.

-Fernando.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:
Quote:
I switched from DTivo to UTV because the DTivo online "advanced" program guide was horribly slow. You think UTV's guide is slow? Try DTivo. You can watch the screens paint when you scroll up and down.
I believe the 2.0.1 update sped this up considerably. It sounds like you switched before the update was released, possibly. That's why I had assumed UTV's slowness would have been sped up with it's first update.

There's also the issue that the "grid" is notoriously slower than the "TiVo" guide...

------------------

--Lori

Major, Tc>ic>Vc>oc> Army

Moderator, AVS Tc>ic>Vc>oc> Forum
www.tivocommunity.com

One Philips DSR6000 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>

One Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>

One Philips 31201 SA Tc>ic>Vc>oc>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walters:
It tells me something I already knew: some people on eBay are idiots. I once sold a DVD on eBay for almost double the retail price, plus shipping (one that was readily available anywhere). eBay is a sellers' market.
Word. And it tells me that there are some really good deals on DTivo's right now.

-Fernando.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:

I'm a guide surfer, and am quite happy with UTV's guide--it might be slow to load at first, but is okay moving around in it.

Other than this issue, the DTivo was a cool, good-looking unit, with a good interface. Web access is a big deal (when it's sped up), ad I can't imagine not having dual tuners (that was a long way off when I got the Sony DTivo).

The name "advanced" was coined by DirecTV, not TiVo. In reality, this so-called advanced guide is somewhat backward, rather than forward-looking. It was designed for, and is most suitable for channel surfing. People who use their TiVo's for channel surfing would probably be better off with UTV, as the PVR functions of TiVo make channel surfing unnecessary (dare I say, "irrelevant?"). Most TiVo users prefer the TiVo guide, which is extremely fast and much more useful for selecting programs to record.

In any case, with the software updates, the APG on TiVo combined with its speed in accessing the programs selected, is just as fast if not faster with TiVo as it is with UTV.

Personally, I never use the APG. It is rather clunky, and obscures too much of the screen compared with the TiVo guide. So even if it were slow (which it isn't) it wouldn't matter in the least to me.

------------------

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fernando,

Didn't the fact that people are willing to pay more for your UTV on eBay than the cost of a DircTivo tell you something?

Bruce M

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M:
Didn't the fact that people are willing to pay more for your UTV on eBay than the cost of a DircTivo tell you something?
It tells me something I already knew: some people on eBay are idiots. I once sold a DVD on eBay for almost double the retail price, plus shipping (one that was readily available anywhere). eBay is a sellers' market.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.