AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planing on running 4 wire 14 Ga. speaker wire in my walls to all my speakers. Im using the 4 wire tied together into 2 wire netting 11 Ga. wire runs. My question is not if 11 Ga. Wire OK or should I use some kind of plutonium plated supper wire.

Want I want to know is the effect of splitting the wire multiple times. Im going to be putting in a wall plate with binding posts for each set of speakers behind my receiver and a corresponding wall plate at each speaker. Witch means that I will be essentially splitting my wire 2 times and "splicing" it back together. What I mean is this I will have a short run of wire from my receiver to the wall plate, then a run of wire in the wall to the next plate and finally a short run of wire from the final plate to each individual speaker. All this means I?m now using 3 wires to make up a run I would typically use just 1 for if not for the fact Im hiding the wires.

Is there any negative effect running speaker wire this way? I know is done like this all the time I was just curious as to its effect.

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
a friend of mine is doing this exact same thing with his setup. he's using a midlevel yamaha receiver with all polk speakers and we can notice no signal loss or sound quality loss so you should be ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply JTUSA4. I know it’s done all the time. I was just curious as to its effect. With all the debate over wire Ga. And types I was thinking that the effect of essentially splicing together speaker wire would have a grater effect on performance on all but the longest of runs then would the type or Ga. Of the wire used.

I guess it’s a silly question, but I’m new to a lot of this and I thought would ask before I went ahead and put the wire in my walls to see if there was any effect and if so if there was a better solution..

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
So long as the connections at the wall plate are well made (both permanent in-wall, and binding post connections), there should be no significant deterioration of the signal. The short length of solid brass (or other material) will probably have a lower resistance than the cable itself over an equivalent length. The contact is the only thing to watch for... check/clean periodically to make sure there isn't oxidation (if you use bare wire), dirt/dust, looseness, etc.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Using both pairs in 14-4 cable works great for each run.

As long as you don't have poor mechanical connections or oxidation, the extra pieces of wire won't matter.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It doesn't matter.

Unless you are using state-of-the-art, million-dollar source equipment and power, you will not hear a difference.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
schtien, here's what I suggest:

First of all, at the receiver, I hope you're not going to use separate plates for each speaker! Use a multi-gang plate instead.

Also, while you will be using the 4-conductor in the wall, there's no reason to use it between receiver and plate, or between plate and speaker. Just use a 14 or 12 ga. single pair.

The real purpose for using 4-conductor is 'future'proofing', i.e., in case you ever bi-wire or bi-amp. Otherwise, there's no advantage over a single, 12 ga. pair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.