Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have got a very simple question. Von Schweikert only has one center speaker that is the LCR-15. Can this speakers be used with mains bigger than VR4JR and still give a balanced front sound stage or you have to go for three matching speakers?

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not a VS owner, but you could just get one of their bookshelf speakers if a full tower will not fit. Don't limit yourself to the horizontally formated speakers. I believe the VS bookshelves can be ordered singley.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dollarman,

My VR-4JR's perfectly bland with LCR-15 and TS-150. VR-4Sr's use different tweeters then VR-4JR's, LCR-15 and Ts-150, and may not give you seamless integration between the mains and the center.

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing. Based on this factor I have moved away from VSAs. I needed reasonably good stereo sound (bigger/better mains than VR4jrs) and a matching center and it looked like this was not an option with VSAs.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dollarman,

What do you mean by bigger/better mains?

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Von Schweikert makes several centers. They are not just obvious on the site, as someone mentioned. Go to the Archives section on the Von Schweikert website and look at the LCR-11, 21 and 31. It is my understanding that they are still being made but are special order items. I believe there may be some other units as well. Call up VSA or their rep and get the answers.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG
Dollarman,

My VR-4JR's perfectly bland with LCR-15 and TS-150. VR-4Sr's use different tweeters then VR-4JR's, LCR-15 and Ts-150, and may not give you seamless integration between the mains and the center.

Best regards,

Alex

>>My VR-4JR's perfectly bland with LCR-15

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The LCR-11, -21, and -31 are long out of production.

But they have been making the LCR-35 and LCR-50 for a while. Don't know if they still do but I think they do. These match up well with the VR-4SR, VR-5 & up models.

These are still on their site, but not shown in their product list/menu:

http://www.vonschweikert.com/lcr35.html

http://www.vonschweikert.com/lcr50.html

Don't know why they do it this way.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good catch theranman, I meant to type "blend" not "bland".

Unfortunately I've never listened to the pair of LCR-15 in stereo mode, therefore I can't comment on their sonic signature. My VR-4JR's are very lively / dynamic and don't sound bland at all.

What gear have you used that was driving LCR-15's?

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Alex,

In my opinion, it wasn't what was driving them that made them "bland", it was the tonal balance.

I felt that they possessed the typical recessed upper midrange/lower treble that so many audiophiles love, but I can't stand. It removes too much of the bite and harshness that make instruments sound REAL. This was somewhat confirmed during a speaker shootout when a group of us listened while watching an RTA in real time. After comparing the LCR-15's to some Onix Ref 1's and some Quad Active 12L speakers, I decided to sell the LCR-15's on the spot. By comparison, they sounded like they had a blanket over the tweeter. Like I said, that may just be a reflection of my tastes, but a number of us felt the same way.

Ran

ps- I usually listened to the LCR-15's with 200 watt multichannel solid state at home.

pss- I ended up buying the Quad Actives...which are verrry different than their passive consumer counterparts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Theranman,

Thanks for the explanation. You're right, LCR-15's are very forgiving speakers and may not meet everyone's musical taste. Some people may love the sound of metal tweeters, I prefer the silk-dome type myself.

As a center speaker, the LCR-15 is very laid-back and doesn't draw too much attention to itself. On the other hand my VR-4JR's are much more tranparent and explosive in comparison to LCR-15's . Sometimes it's almost spooky due to their sheer dynamics and 3-D realism. VR-4JR's are very revealing with much more extended high's but they're not bright or fatiguing. Even my 65W Outlaw receiver has enough power to drive them to extremely loud / dynamic levels.

I don't think I could have lived with such an explosive center if the LCR-15 was as transparent and dynamic as my VR-4JR's. Due to their identical tweeter design, I've not noticed any speaker integration issues. My concert DVD's sound seamless in 5-channel DTS mode with the help of the Velodyne DD-12 subwoofer... However, in 2-channel stereo mode, I prefer the VR-4JR's without the DD-12's help in an ANALOG DIRECT mode. I'm still planning to replace my Outlaw receiver, because I want much more refined/smoother sounding system.

At the end of the day, we're all expecting specific sound signatures from our stereo set-up's. That's why there're so many speakers on the market.

Home audition is a must in this crazy hobby of ours.

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Alex,

Not only a home audition, but "GASP"...bringing home a couple of DIFFERENT speakers and using a switcher to switch between them. Yeah, it requires a couple of cheap amps in order to compensate for different speaker sensitivities, but once you compare speakers this way, you'll NEVER EVER go back to the usual audiophile "listen-stop-remove cables-replace speakers-reinstall cables-5 minutes later" routine ever again. Our lack of auditory memory makes such a routine ridiculous.

I purchased a $25 dollar 4-into-1 switcher (with remote!) on ebay a while back, and let me tell ya, it's a miracle! Just look under "audio video switcher remote".

Funny that you mention the Outlaw...I was using the 770 with the Vons for about a year before switching to active studio monitors. One thing I'll say about using flat response speakers is that you REALLY have to be able to control the room or else they'll tend to sound rather bright. Room control should consist of either physical damping (rugs, carpet, foam, traps, stuffed furniture, etc) or some type of room eq.

As for metal vs. silk tweeters, I'll tell you that the choice is farrr less important than how the designer decides how to implement them. I've heard wonderful examples of each, and do NOT let yourself think that a designer CAN'T tip up a silk tweeter enough to hurt your ears as easily as a metal one can be left to ring as a bell. Either can be implented poorly or wisely. My Quads use a silk dome and in a highly reflective room, can numb the ears if listened to at moderately high levels...especially with rock music, brass instruments etc.

I'm glad you're lovin' them Vons. I think they're a nice speaker indeed...if that is your particular taste. Yeah, if I was cranking movies, they'd be wonderful, but then again, I'm not averse to using the Cinema Re-EQ button in my processor, or even a treble control knob.

I happen to be a Velo user as well...the DD-10, but I'm considering moving up to the DD-12. In my condo's largish open living room (around 4000 ft³), the DD-10 does fine, but I think I'd like to see a little less driver movement...ya know, ease the strain.

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Randy,

Thanks for the great idea. I have to look into high power switchers. It's tough to build them due to high current arching (welding effect), long switching life, predictable insertion loss and SWR. What vendors have you looked at?

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG
Dollarman,

What do you mean by bigger/better mains?

Best regards,

Alex
Hi Alex,

The biggest push I had for this round of upgrade was dissatisfaction with 2ch stereo thats why I was thinking more on lines of VR4srs or Dali Helicon 800s etc.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Alex,

Arc welding, insertion loss, swr's??!!! Holey Moley..we ain't talkin' about the space shuttle here, we're talking about a LOW (line) LEVEL SWITCHER!

With a simple 4-into-1 line level, you plug your cd player into the "IN" input, and when comparing say one pair of speaker to another, you'd only be using 2 of the 4 "OUT"'s. Each one of the OUTS goes to a simple inexpensive stereo amp, which then goes to each speaker. Using a SPL meter, simply match the output levels of each speaker. THEN, using the remote, you can simply switch back and forth between the outputs..ie..either pair of speakers. It's really quite simple. And btw, a "4-into-1" switcher also works as a "1-into-4"..which is how it is being used. The "1" is the cd/dvd player. The "4" are the 4 outputs. Simple. Oh yeah, the switcher is powered, but there's no detectable hiss or noise.

Ebay search: "Audio or Video + switcher + remote".

There is no name on the box itself, but it's a simple China-made device. A LOT of people use them for switching between various devices. For $25 including the REMOTE, it's one helluva steal! Buy it and you'll thank me.

Ran

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the LCR-15 as a center and use it with my VR4.5. I find it to blend very well with the mains during movies (the only time I use it). In movies it's mostly used for dialog anyway, and sometime music/effects, anyway no problem IMO with it as a center channel.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dollarman,

Do you have a dedicated 2-channel set-up? I've come to realization that no matter how hard I try to like the sound of surround processors, they simply can't match the sound quality of an inexpensive 2-channel pre-amp. Both the VR-4SR's and Helican's are so revealing that you may be forced to spend a lot more money on electronics and room treatment. These speakers are not very forgiving.

Buy the way, I've heard my VR-4JR's with 12 different stereo set-up's and they all sounded excellent but different. (McCormick/BAT/Cary, etc.) McIntosh is the only set-up that I didn't like. It was too bland for my taste. For kick's I dragged in ProAc Response D25 and got the same results. My problem is that I want to find a matching system on cheap. Unfortunatly, I'll get what I pay for.

Happy shopping, I hope you'll find your dream set-up.

Best regards,

Alex

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.